What Can Be Causing a Foreign Body Sensation After Blephorplasty?

Dearest Doctors, Dad is 65yo. He had upper and lower bleph approx a year ago without complications and seemed to heal well. However, over the last few months, he is complaining of a foreign body sensation inside outer corner of upper lid. Like something is "rubbing" the eye. Surgeon insists "there is nothing there." She suggests compresses to the area and tears to lubricate. This is of no help. His eye is always red and swollen; he is constantly rubbing it. Any insight ?? What to do? TIA!!

Needs thorough eye exam!

+2

Were the lower eyelids done transconjunctivally or with a skin incision?  Sometimes a granuloma forms inside along the transconjunctival incision, which may need to be removed.  Most likely, however, as mnetioned by the other doctors, it may be a dry eye and a thourough eye exam by an ophthalmoloigist is necessary.

Feeling a foreign body in the eye a year after surgery is unusual and could have several different causes.

+1

It is unlikely for material would be present after eyelid surgery to create the problem. A foreign object could have gotten trapped in the lid. Also inadequate tearing to lubricate the conjunctiva could be responsible. I would refer the patient of mine to that ophthalmologist for thorough examination.

Foreign body sensation after blepharoplasty

+1
It would be unusual for this problem to develop one year after surgery. While a granuloma could develop or a suture reaction occur at this late date, the first step would be an opthalmology evaluation for corneal irritation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Foreign body sensation in eye

+1

The foreign body sensation can be from surgery or unrelated. I got one leaving Disney World one year after their fireworks show.  I had a fiber under my eyelid which kept scratching my cornea.  It took a good eye exam to take care of it.  Good luck.

+1

The typical Upper Blepharoplasty (Upper Eyelid Surgery) does not have any internal sutures in the upper, inner corner of the eye.  If a Canthopexy was performed, at the same time, the internal suture may be causing some irritation to the eye at that location.  In either case, the eye should be thoroughly examined to determine the cause of the irritation and foreign body sensation by an eye doctor.

Needs Another Evaluation

+1

Sound like he may be suffering from dry eye.  It is best to have an ophthalmology evaluation to rule that out.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Foreign Body Sensation after Upper and Lower Blephs

+1

Hard to say without pictures or an exam, but dry eyes from a variety of mechanisms can frequently create the foreign body sensation.  I would get an exam by an ophthalmologist.

Foreign body sensation one year after blepharoplasty

+1

Because of the timing of your father's symptom starting many months after his blepharoplasty, I doubt that it would be the cause of his eye irritation.  If you haven't done so already, I would recommend your father see an ophthalmologist.  An ophthalmologist would be able to examine your father's eyes in more detail than a plastic surgeon.     

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon