What Can Be Causing my Very Dry Eyes 5 1/2 Months Post Upper Blepharoplasty?

I'm 52 years old, and I did NOT have dry eyes before the surgery. At 5 1/2 months, I can't cry if I wanted to. I'm lucky to get enough tears to moisten my eye balls. I can't even get enough tears to well up in my eyes, let alone run down my face. It wasn't a problem during the summer months, but now my eyes are so dry, they burn and feel irritated all the time. I can close them all the way, so that's not the problem. Is it possible my tear glands were damaged? A lot of skin was removed.

Dry eyes after blepharoplasty.

+1
You need to see an ophthamologist. Your problem is probably that your lids may not be closing when you are asleep causing dryness and possibly corneal damage.

Dry eye after blepharoplasty

+1
There is no reason for you to be uncomfortable. Artificial tears can be purchased as an over the counter item in any pharmacy. If the condition does not resolve, definitely speak to your operating surgeon and, if you aren't satisfied with the response, seek consultation with a plastic or oculoplastic surgeon. Best of luck in the resolution of your concerns!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Dry Eyes After Upper Lid Blepharoplasty

+1

Unfortunately, a temporary mild dry eye syndrome is almost inevitable after upper eyelid surgery.   I recommend that patients use artificial tears for several weeks after the procedure.  The etiology of the syndrome is not completely understood, but believed to be related to a temporary dysfunction of the minor lacrimal glands found throughout the conjunctiva, coupled with temporary weakness of the orbicularis oculi muscle that closes the eye.  Part of the reason for blinking and eyelid closure is to spread the tear film over the surface of the cornea.  This syndrome can be worsened by allergies and environmental factors.

Diminished tear production is something that occurs naturally with the aging process. A more severe dry eye syndrome after surgery can occur after surgery in patients who are already experiencing this age related reduction in tear production. A very severe dry eye syndrome after Blepharoplasty can occur if too much skin is removed. I suggest that you return to your Surgeon, use artificial tears, and see an Ophthalmologist.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon