What Are Some Causes of Tip Swelling After a Revision Open Rhinoplasty, Now at 8 Weeks?

I had 2mm cephalic trim and now that area : tip and supra-tip area is swollen. I also had the cartilage on my dorsum lowered right above tip 1-2mm. I just feel like that area is swollen which creates a rounded look more-so on frontal view I have swelling all over but I feel it is most pronounced in the tip area. Thank you for your time doctors.

Causes of swelling

+1

In general, tip work will create a significant amount of post-surgical swelling. With patients that have thick skin, the swelling may be greater, last longer, and the patient may not be able to achieve the level of definition they desire. 70% of the swelling is usually resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months following surgery. At 8 weeks, you will still be significantly swollen. It is important to be patient during the healing process, as you will not see your final result for some time. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding any post-operative concerns, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. Thank you, and best of luck with the remainder of your healing!

Tip and Supratip Swelling 8 Weeks Out From Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Elissa, it is quite normal to have even moderate swelling of these areas 8 weeks out from revision rhinoplasty surgery. The rounded look should resolve with time to reveal the desired changes. I normally recommend that my rhinoplasty patients adhere to a diet low in salt intake to help minimize this type of swelling. You might want to also avoid getting your body temperature up too high as this can also contribute to temporary swelling. Wishing the best of luck in your healing process. Dr. Hilinski.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon