Causes of Swollen Lymph Nodes, Aching Years After Breast Augmentation?

I am 8 yrs post breast augmentation with saline implants and have swollen lymph nodes axillary, achiness and soreness in my right breast. Dr says implant intact... What is causing this?

Swollen lymph nodes after saline breast augmentation

+3

Thanks for your question -

New masses in the axilla or breast are something that you should have checked out. There are many causes for lymph node swelling but one of the concerns is that this may represent breast cancer.

I know that's a scary thing to hear and it may be nothing but it absolutely shoud be checked.

Make an appointment today!

Enlarged armpit lymph nodes (axillary lymphadenopathy) years after breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

I have occasionally observed this but do not have an explanation. In rare instances a polyurethane implant can cause a pronounced inflammatory response with lymphadenopathy while in other instances low grade bacterial colonization (biofilm) can do the same. The key thing is to see your surgeon and ensure that it is not a sign of another more concerning infectious, inflammatory, or neoplastic process.

Breast implants do not cause swollen lymph glands.

+1

Hi,

I don't know what is causing your symptoms, but it is not your breast implants. Implants are really inert. You need a thorough medical evaluation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Swollen lymph nodes

+1

Swollen lymph nodes in the axilla could be a sign of many things. You could have inflammation from something, an infection, breast cancer to name a few. See your doctor.

I agree, you should have this evaluated

+1

It would be very unlikely to have the implant surgery be the source of the swollen lymph glands.  You sent this awhile ago so I hope you have sought medical attention. Evaluation would consist of the clinical exam, possible MRI and even a biopsy.  If you have not seen a doctor, please do so ASAP!

Michael Kulick, MD

Swollen Axillary Lymph Nodes

+1

You need to see your physician as soon as possible. It is highly unlikely that your current condition has any relationship to the saline implants. The enlarged lymph nodes in your axilla could be a sign of breast cancer. There is no evidence of a link between implants and breast cancer. However, there is a possibility that the implants could lead to a delay in diagnosis of a breast cancer. This could be something else, but again you need to see your physician as soon as possible.

John Whitt, MD