What Causes a Short Nose?

I am an adult male caucasian who has a really short upturned nose with a shallow nasal bridge. I know what needs to be done to fix this since I have done a ton of research but I still haven't been able to find a cause. I am extremely healthy. My mom did not drink any alcohol during pregnancy. I am not lacking in HGH or testosterone, I am 6' tall with a large bone structure and my other facial features are well developed-It's just the nose. All my other family members have well developed noses.

Short upturned nose

+1

Traumatic injuries to the nose as a young child, including septal perforation and, insertion of foreign bodies in the nose as a youngster, and septal hematoma can all cause lack of development of the cartilaginous framework of the nasal septum. This will prevent normal development and projection of the nasal bridge line. Look for experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to reconstruct your nose bridge with either nasal or  ear cartilage.

Short and Upturned Nose

+1

Thanks for the interesting question. In patients who have not undergone prior surgery, the most common cause of a short, upturned nose is a lack of proper development of the septum. I've seen this many times in my rhinoplasty practice in patients with a severe septal deviation or septal fracture. In particular if the septum is fractured at a young age, it may grow in an abnormal fashion, failing to push the tip of the nose down and forward. The support along the bridge may be insufficient as a result as well.

I would recommend an evaluation with a board-certified rhinoplasty surgeon to determine if this is the case for you. If you have difficulty breathing, correction of your nose with a reconstructive rhinoplasty may be covered by your insurance. Cartilage taken from your septum can be carved into extended spreader grafts and/or a caudal septal extension graft, to lengthen and counter-rotate your nose. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon