What Causes Lumps on a Labiaplasty Scar? How Long Do They Take to Go Away?

What causes the lumps? Dissolvable stitches? Stiched too tight? It's been almost 5 weeks and my scars are still lumpy.

Labiaplasty recovery and lumps

+1

The lumps are usually due to swelling and sutures from the labiaplasty. Less often, they may represent redundant tissue.  I perform many of these labiaplasties and have found that the rate of revision is low. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

+1

Sometimes these are dissolving sutures.  Sometimes these are the result of irritation from sutures that needs time to resolve.  Sometimes the tissue requires time to remodel.  Give yourself 3 to 6 months to make a determination in this respect.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lumps after labiaplasty

+1

Lumps are very common after trimming labiaplasty. Usually they will get better with time but may certainly persist and require further surgery.  Lumps that persist after the central wedge technique is very uncommon which is one of the major advantages of the wedge technique.  

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Lumps After Labiaplasty

+1

It's not uncommon for the wound edges to feel firm in the first 12 weeks after surgery.  Although the wound appears healed from the outside a week after surgery, it continues to undergo remodeling for up to a year.  During the remodeling, it will soften.  It's hard to say exactly what's going on without examining you and knowing the technique your surgeon used.  I would recommend visiting with your surgeon just to be sure nothing else is going on.  He/she may recommend massaging the scars to help soften them.

Good Luck!

Ashley Gordon, MD, FACS

Ashley Gordon, MD

Lumpy scars in labiaplasty

+1

I always close my wounds in layers to minimize the risks for a wound breakdown.  The sutures placed internally do dissolve and can be lumpy until they are resorbed/dissolve.  Unless they grow in size, I tell my patients not to worry and none of them have had problems down the road.  If the lumps grow in size, you should see your surgeon for further evaluation.

Curtis Wong, MD

Lumps after Labiaplasty

+1

It's usually just scar tissue and with time your body will re-mold the scar tissue and it will soften up.  It could also be sutures that need to dissolve depending on the type of sutures your surgeon used. I certainly would recommend you see your surgeon for some reassurance.

Jennifer L. Harrington MD

Jennifer Harrington, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon