What Causes a Disaster 'Michael Jackson Nose'?

I've tried suppressing ideas of getting rhinoplasty since my nose doesn't bother me too much but I think since I have the money my only concern is it going wrong. What causes noses to go...weird in surgery? Can't the doctor see the nose looks ridiculous?

Disastrous rhinoplasty results

+2

Michael Jackson’s nose was operated on in excess of a dozen times over an extended period of time.  The changes are well documented with multiple nasal procedures, not just one rhinoplasty procedure.

Bad rhinoplasty Surgery

+2

I would not let fear of having a nose that looks like Michael Jackson's dissuade you from rhinoplasty surgery.  Although some people are dissatisfied with their rhinoplasty results, their nose should never be resected and traumatized to the point where it resembles Michael Jackson's.    As the other opinions here have suggested, this unacceptable outcome resulted from an endless pursuit by the patient and his surgeons not knowing when to say no.  

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to avoid a Michael Jackson nose when considering a nose job

+1

A nose like Michael Jackson's does not happen over the course of one or even two surgical procedures. To end up with a nose like Michael Jackson's, multiple procedures would have to be performed. If you are considering rhinoplasty, but worried that your nose will turn out like Michael Jackson's, you can do a few things. First, I would recommend you doing your homework when it comes to finding a plastic surgeon. Try to find a doctor that has lots of experience doing rhinoplasties and revisional rhinoplasties. Finding a facial plastic surgeon is even better. A doctor that is familiar with rhinoplasties will help ensure your nose fits your face. Additionally, find a plastic surgeon with imaging software in the office. This way, you can see what your new nose will look like and if you are happy with the potential results. Please remember that Michael Jackson is a huge exception rather than rule.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

What causes michael jackson nose disaster?

+1

Michael Jackson's (rest in peace) nose issues came from repeated surgeries chasing an ideal that could not be attained since it was only real in his own mind. Unfortunately for him and for others as well he kept finding doctors who were willing to keep doing things to him for the financial gain. In his case it ultimately led to his own demise, a tragedy that shames us all.

Find a reputable, certified and qualified surgeon, check his or her background, view before and afters of previous patients and discuss your concerns and you should do great.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bad rhinoplasty

+1

Like the case you described, it may have been from seeking perfection and a bit body dysmorphic syndrome.  Too many rhinoplasties will lead to disaster in most cases.

Disaster in Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Michael Jackson's disaster with rhinoplasty surgery was the result of multiple unsuccessful procedures which caused compromised circulation with loss of nasal tissues and the collapse of the nasal structures. Select a surgeon who is experienced and a specialist in rhinoplasty surgery. Look at multiple examples of results in patients with noses like yours.