What Caused my Red Itchy Bumps/rash on my Legs After my Second Laser Hair Removal Treatment?

I had my second lower leg laser hair removal treatment 3 days ago. The first treatment, no issues. This treatment, I woke up thr next morning with tons of itchy, red bumps all over my lower legs. I have tried to not itch, but they aren't going away! What should I put on them? And how long will they last? Will they scar? Also, at the same time as my second lower leg treatment, I had my first upper leg treatment, but my upper legs have no bumps at all! What can I do to prevent this next time?

Bumps after laser hair removal

+3

Sometimes this happens, particularly on the bikini area and the legs. It's almost like a shaving irritation, of sorts. Basically the follicles treated were irritated, which is causing them to be red and itchy. It's not abnormal for this to happen, but I understand it can be annoying. Apply some cool water to the sites, followed by some hydrocortisone (available for a few dollars at any pharmacy). Don't use any scented lotions or perfumes on the area for a few days because that will irritate it even more. Some follicles just respond this way so be prepared that as you do more treatments and the settings are moved higher on the machine, this might happen again. Follow the cool water and hydrocortisone usage and you'll be ok. You can also take an OTC allergy pill too.

Reactions and Treatments After Laser Hair Removal

+2

Thanks for your question 

Yes, this can happen after laser treatment. Here are some things you can do:

1) Avoid anything abrasive to your legs (no exfoliants)

2) Avoid heavy, scented lotions/creams to your legs

3) Place cool washcloths to soothe your legs

4) As mentioned by another physician, over-the-counter hydrocortisone can be used on your legs to calm the itching down

5) If you do not scratch the bumps or use anything harsh on them, you should not scar

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

It will get better next time

+1

Red, itchy bumps are typically  normal after laser hair removal. Patients with dark and coarse hair usually react more during the first 2-3 treatments. Once the hair becomes less and thinner the reaction should be less as well. To help sooth the skin after the treatment you can use aloe gel or calming creams twice a day. To help with the itchy skin you can exfoliate in a couple of days to remove the burnt hair stuck in the follicles.

Web reference: http://drturowski.com/laser-hair-removal-chicago.html.