What Has Caused my Breast Ptosis? What Are my Options? (Photos)

I recently put up pictures wondering what was wrong with my breasts as they sag & are not the right shape. The outcome from many answers was that I have breast ptosis. What has caused this to happen to my breasts? Also is it common at a young age? And are there any things I can do to improve it till I get surgery? I don't want implants so what are my options? Also how much is the kind of surgrey I'm looking for on average? As much advise as possible would be great. Thanks.

Causes of Breast Ptosis

Dear Sunnyshine,  There are many causes for breast ptosis (sagging breasts).  The most common cause is childbearing and nursing with the increased breast size and swelling stretching the tissues-both on the inside and outside of the breasts.  In some women, but not all, afterwards the breasts do not tighten back up and instead sag and droop.  But this is only one of many possible causes including genetics, weight gain/loss, tuberous breast development, etc. all of which can occur at a young age.  There really is not much you can do besides surgery to improve your breast shape and you will most likely need a mastopexy (breast lift) procedure.  I would recommend obtaining a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and to go over the different types of mastopexy procedures they may recommend.  Implants alone will not make your breasts rise and can make the situation worse.  Until then, wearing a well-fitted bra will help support your breasts and limit the pulling effect of gravity.  Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Many factors contribute to breast sag...

It’s not unusual for women to develop severe breast sag over the course of time.Your history and pictures demonstrate significant breast sag with associated areola enlargement.Correction of this type of problem usually always requires some type of breast lift procedure.
A multitude of factors are associated with the development of breast sag.These include thin skin, large breasts, fluctuations in weight, pregnancy, failure to use a bra for support, certain types of diseases that involve the connective tissue, and cigarette smoking.
Severe breast sag usually always requires an anchor mastopexy.This procedure utilizes an incision that extends around the border of the areola.This incision has a vertical extension that connects with an incision located in the inframammary fold.This approach is utilized when patients have severe sag.It addresses sag and excess skin in multiple dimensions.This procedure lifts the breast into normal position while simultaneously reshaping it by tightening the skin.
This type of procedure typically ranges between $4500 and $5500 when the facility fee, anesthesia charges, and surgeons fees are considered.If you’re considering breast lift surgery, it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area.This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

What causes ptosis?

Women who suffer from breast ptosis typically have a genetic predisposition, whether it's related to skin integrity with laxity causing sagging, or the anatomy/geometry of your chest. In your case you have a very narrow chest and base of breast that becomes fuller below. This is probably something you've noticed since breast development. The way to treat this is with a traditional breastlift with anchor incisions. The upper chest fullness will be markedly improved as well as the shape. Further, the stretched nipple areola will be reduced. You would need to meet with a Board certified plastic surgeon to determine cost, as that will depend on where the surgery is performed.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Breast ptosis is from extra skin

Fundamentally, breast ptosis is caused by having too much skin to support the breast.  There can also be breast glandular laxity issues as well.  All of this is caused by breast size, weight, gravity and genetics.  Implants will never lift you, so best to wear great support, keep your weight stable and do a formal breast lift after having kids.

Ptosis of breasts

Breasts sag for many reasons these can be genetic, poor skin elasticity, weight fluctuations, and pregnancy.  But it happens to some extent for everyone.

Causes of Breast Ptosis?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Generally, causes of breast ptosis include congenital ptosis, weight gain/loss, changes after pregnancy etc. options for treatment include breast lifting/reduction surgery. This would ideally be done when patients are at their long-term stable weight.   Other considerations include the timing of surgery in relation to possible pregnancies and/or breast-feeding.

It will be in your best interest to meet in person with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons when the time is right for you.

Breast lift for breast ptosis

The reasons for breast ptosis can be mulitple, including the effects from pregnancy, breast feeding, weight loss, and genetics. During pregnancy, the breast tissue  becomes increased, the skin stretches, and after pregnancy, the tissues don't always tighten to their original position. There are numerous options for surgically repositioning your nipple areolar complex and breast gland to a more natural and youthful appearance. Breast lifts are procedures performed on an outpatient basis, typcially require several hours, with well hidden scars. Discuss with you board certified plastic surgeon which technique might be better suited for your individual anatomy. Best of luck! 

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD

Surgical option for breast ptosis

Hi Sunnyshine,

I believe you can benefit from having an Ultimate Breast Lift. This is a revolutionary technique that will improve the shape of your breasts and lift them without having to decrease their size. I have used this procedure in women with your specific problems and have been very successful. An additional benefit of this technique is that it eliminates the vertical scar which usually deters women from having this type of procedure. The incisions are well hidden and the results are extremely natural. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Saggy breast require Breast Lift with or without size modification.

Breast sagging happens from multiple reasons.  These are  genetic shape of breast, pregnancies, breast feeding, weight loss, or from large size and weight of breasts.

Breast lift also called Mastopexy is needed to correct sagging.  In an adequately sized breast that is all that is needed.

If breasts are heavy and large they will also need reduction. Otherwise sagging will reoccur.

If breast are empty or small from weight loss or pregnancies then an implant is needed to get a good shape.

Above description should help you find your answer. 

Vasdev Rai, MD