What Would Cause Only 1 Tooth to Stain Much Faster Than the Others? (photo)

I have 1 front tooth that is suddenly staining quickly yet the rest of my teeth appear fine. What would cause 1 tooth to stain so quickly while the others all look fine? Bleaching has caused some improvement but not nearly the effect it has on the other teeth. I visited my dentist and he had no answer for me.

Central tooth with a different color

+1

Before any conclusions can be done, the x-ray of the tooth need to be performed. There`re different reasons for a color change, and the 1st reason can be the infection inside the tooth, which can appear after even minimal tooth trauma. Or it can be associated with old composite or just discoloration like enamel hypoplasia. Probably bleaching won`t be really helpful here.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth stain

+1

If your front middle tooth is the one you are talking about, it has a composite or bonded filling on it, and fillings stain more and faster than natural teeth, or they do not whiten when you whiten the rest.

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Why 1 Tooth Stains More Than Others

+1

It appears in your photo that there might be an old bonded filling on that stained tooth. It could be the old bonding that is staining, and not bleaching like the others.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Xray would be needed

+1

Sometimes teeth have the nerves shrink away, called calcific metamorphosis.  This more dense tooth appears more yellow than the adjacent teeth and does not respond well to bleaching.  It MAY mean a root canal is in its future, but the only predictable way to whiten the tooth is with a porcelain crown or porcelain veneer.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Very easy to fix

+1

Hello there,

The reason for discoloration is that you have a very large bonding on that tooth. Because the bonding material is much more porous than your enamel, it tends to absorb stains and pigmentation in food or drinks. You can have it repolished by your dentist and if the problem is frequent, you may want to consider having a porcelain veneer placed on the tooth. Hope this helps.

Irvine Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.