What Could Cause Tip Swelling to Look Ball Like and Be Raised at the Supra Tip Area and Will This Settle to a Smooth Transition?

Revision 8 weeks ago to center tip. Tip was not rotated superiorly,yet it seems lifted and round.Especially where the top of the tip cartilages meet the dorsum.Noticeable mostly on frontal.My cartilage was lowered 1-2mm to allow my tip to be slightly higher than dorsum.When running finger down dorsum it feels like a "speed bump" when I get to tip. Tip is still hard as well.An underlay graft was placed under right tip cart.A columellar strut and spreader grafts placed,projection suture placed.

Tip swelling after revision rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to render an opinion or even suggest a treatment without physical examination or at least reviewing some of your facial pictures. However, based on your detailed descriptions, you have normal swelling of nasal tip after revision rhinoplasty and tip grafting. It may take up to a year for the swelling to subside. I would recommend you to visit your rhinoplasty surgeon for possible kenalog injection. Good luck and good healing. Dr. Sadati

Eight weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

At eight weeks after a rhinoplasty, the tip will feel very stiff and likely very swollen.  Give it time to settle down.

Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Dear Elissa2537,

• It sounds like things will heal nicely if you feel that increased projection just below the supra tip
  • That area will take the longest to fully heal
  • Regular visits to your plastic surgeon for reassurance may help

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Tip grafts can be very stiff right after rhinoplasty

+1
At eight week after secondary rhinoplasty with tip grafts, the tip will be very stiff quite a while longer. More time is definitely needed before the tip will soften and he'll see the improvements that you hoped for.

Tip Swelling 8 Weeks After Revision Nose Surgery

+1

You really need to be much more patient with the healing process. This is especially true following a revision rhinoplasty that was only performed 8 weeks ago with multiple grafts being done during the surgery. Everything you described sounds quite normal for this stage of recovery after revision rhinoplasty.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

8 weeks is a short time after revision rhinoplasty

+1

I can understand your concern about the tip. In a revision and in one that requires numerous grafts like you had placed, the stifness and swelling can be quite prolonged. I tell all my revision rhinoplasty patients that they must wait at least a year before considering any time of revision. The nose will constantly change and scarring can be quite unpredictable in a revision case. Try and be patient and perhaps a small amount of dilute steroid can be injected to speed the scar maturation process up in the supratip region. Thanks for your question.

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon