Would Something Falling on my Breast Cause a New Implant to Rupture?

I have 400cc silicone unders placed on Thursday of last week and this morning I reached for a bottle of gatorade in the regrigerator (i know now that was a big no no) but I lost my grip and the large plastic gatorade bottle fell on right my breast. Is this blunt enough trauma to cause the implant to rupture? The breast still looks the same and it taped up. I go to the doctor to get my tape removed; should I go before then to have the doctor look at the breast or should i wait until tomorow?

New implant rupture after minor trauma.

+1

Breast implants are built to withstand some trauma.  The trauma that you describe, and the resulting lack of symptoms leads me to believer that you did not rupture the implant.  Best to let your plastic surgeon know your concerns.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/breast-augmentation

Your implant is not ruptured!

+1

The present generation of silicone gel breast implants (by either manufacturer, now with a recently-added third FDA-approved implant manufacturer) are cohesive, meaning the silicone polymer contained within the implant shell "sticks together" and cannot leak.

While the tough silicone elastomer shell can in very rare instances be damaged (or have an even more rare manufacturer's defect), actual rupture is extremely unlikely and requires great force, like hitting a dashboard at 55 mph, or suffering a severe blow directly to the chest. The force required to damage any implant of any size or profile (saline OR silicone) would most certainly injure the implant's owner.

Dropping (even a large) bottle of Gatorade on your breast most emphatically did NOT damage your implant if it did not injure you in any way.

BTW, even the FDA "recommendation" that asymptomatic silicone gel implant patients obtain an MRI every 2-3 years to "look" for "hidden rupture" is being eliminated because this is so frequently incorrect (21% false positive rate).

Implants are plenty durable enough to suffer any kind of physical, sports, or sexual activity without damage. Saline implants can in some cases eventually develop a tiny pinhole in the shell (from constant creasing in a fold or wrinkle such as with each and every breath), and more likely in textured implants, leading to deflation and re-operation. Even if the shell of a cohesive silicone gel implant were to develop a tiny pinhole (or be damaged by the surgeon's needle, for example, at the time of surgery, the gel is cohesive and cannot leak out.

Bottom line: you need not worry, nor do you need to be seen sooner than your regular recheck appointment! Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/breast-procedures/breast-augmentation

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Object struck breast

+1

It is highly doubtful that a juice bottle would cause an implant to rupture.   It usually takes a tremendous force to rupture an implant.

Trauma and Rupture of Breast Implant after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Based on the description of the “trauma”  and the fact that your breast  exam remains unchanged,  it is very unlikely that any harm was done by the Gatorade bottle.  In general, it would take significantly more force to cause breast implant rupture. Of course, for real peace of mind direct examination by your plastic surgeon will be necessary.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm