Cause of Glabellar Lines and How Can It Be Remedied? (photo)

Hi I have only just realised glabellar lines between my eyes tend to join together when frowning when they should remain parallel (in a 11 formation). I'm in my 20s so it cannot be from weakened muscle (from age related degradation to elasticity) it may possibly have been caused by acne or from nose injury (I believe my nose is slighty wonky) I do not know anything else that could have possibly caused this. One side is more noticible at having a furrow than other. How can it be set right ?

Glabellar Lines and Botox

+1

Your wrinkles are quite significant and will be helped with Botox injection and I would recommend having them injected with 20 units and return 2 weeks later if you feel it is still cosmetically bothersome for you for more Botox - perhaps another 10-20 units.

Buffalo General Surgeon

The solution to glabellar lines

+1

There are many different appearances to glabellar lines, and they will change as you age. Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin are all good solutions for glabellar lines. The procerus and corrugators are some of the strongest muscles. I typically find that people will get treatment, and find they don't have full relaxation. This area typically requires at least 15 units of Botox, but I have used as much as 30 units in a single patient in this area. After full relaxation is achieved, if you have adynamic lines, or lines that remain when you are not scowling, then Juvederm can be used to fill this area. Restylane and belotero can also be used. In most young patients, appropriate neurotoxin treatment will be the solution by itself. Hope this helps.

Joseph J. Castellano, MD
Tampa General Surgeon

Frown lines cure

+1

Botox or dysport is your quick and easy answer. It will give you a very nice result in about 5 days after injection. A permanent approach would be to perform a transbleph transection of those muscles. You should consider this and seek out a plastic surgeon who can offer this procedure to you. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Improving the appearance of the glabellar lines

+1

The best way to improve the appearance of glabellar lines is with Botox or Dysport. You generally want to avoid filler in this area, as it can be dangerous and complications may occur. I would recommend seeking an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Scowl (Frown) Lines Respond Well To A Combination of A Neuromodulator and a Filler

+1

A recent article in Dermatologic Surgery, a prominent dermatology journal, classified five different common glabellar contraction patterns for the muscles responsible for frowning (glabellar muscles) based upon the shapes the muscles created in the region when at their maximum contraction. Defining the pattern helps to guide the placement of injections and dosing of injections of neuromodulators, such as Botox, Dysport and Xeomin. These descriptive categories included a "V" shaped pattern, which it appears most closely fits the photos provided.

After years of frowning and scowling, the skin overlying the glabellar muscles can become permanently creased, like paper that has been repeatedly folded. Simply treating the muscles does not eliminate these creases. The ideal approach to treating glabellar creases must address both the muscular activity and the etched skiin itself. The former responds well to neuromodulators; the latter to fillers, such as Restylane L or Belotero Balance instilled in microdroplets along the the length of the lines to elevate them flush with the surrounding skin surface. Combining these forms of treatments has been shown to lead to far longer lasting results than treatment with either modality alone.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Treatment of glabellar lines

+1

Dynamic muscle movement causes these lines.  You should consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to discuss how a product such as Botox would be beneficial for you.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Glabellar lines

+1

Glabella lines can be transverse like you describe and how it appears in your photos. This can be from procerus muscle over-activity.  This can be treated with Botox.

Glabellar line improvement

+1

A neuromodulator such as Botox, Dysport or Xeomin would likely be very helpful for your glabellar lines. It would be worthwhile to start them sooner rather than later to avoid having to use fillers (e.g. juvederm, restylane) in addition if these lines start to permanently etch in. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Transverse Glabella (intra brow) Lines

+1

There are three muscles in the glabella area. The one that causes vertical lines is the corrugator. The procerus causes transverse lines. The orbicularis can accentuate either. You appear to have a combination of corrugator and procerus function that is somewhat more than usual. Botox® (or one of the other neuromodulators) can markedly improve your appearance by eliminating function of these muscles.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Not everyone has exact "11"s!

+1

Dear Karps,

This bulking you have when you scowl or frown are from muscles called the procerus and the corrugators.  Although we often see lines that look like 11s, not everyone has this exact configuration.  It varies with each person's anatomy.  Men, especially, tend to have thicker bulkier muscles in this area in particular so the pattern can vary that way too.  The muscles on the two sides can be different slightly so the furrow may be deeper one one side than the other.  In someone your age, Botox or Dysport to temporarily decrease the muscle contraction will nicely soften this area and prevent future damage and deep lines.

good luck!

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon