Am I getting Cauliflower ear?

My ear is sore, swollen, has hard dead or dried skin that's flakey, and I do wrestle without headgear in practice.

Am I getting Cauliflower ear?

+1
An examination would be necessary to help make that determination.

Treatment of cauliflower ear in wrestlers - Los Angeles

+1

This ear deformity can be progressive. If an examination determines that there is truly a cauliflower ear developing, you may take some preemptive steps to stop the process.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Cauliflower Ear?

+1

Thank you for the question. It is impossible to answer without pictures. If you are still worried go see a medical doctor urgently to be sure.

What's important to keep in mind is that the best way not to have a cauliflower ear is to prevent it. Once cauliflower ear has developed, it is nearly impossible to surgically correct. There is too much scar and tissue buildup.

If you ever have a blood pocket (hematoma) on your ear, it is wise to have it promptly drained by a surgeon. If a blood pocket goes undrained, it will cause scar formation and fibrosis leading to cauliflower ear. Don't let this happen.

See a doctor in your area to be sure.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Am I getting Cauliflower ear?

+1

You can be developing Cauliflower ears. Dry flakey skin is not associated with that deformity. If your ears are sore, you might not be washing your ears and removing the outer layer of skin. It is not possible to tell if you are developing a cauliflower problem without photos.

John F. Reinisch, MD