Cat's Eye Look Surgery?

A friend of mine told me that there is a surgery called the "Cat's eye look" that makes eyes look sexy and attractive. Is this true?

Cat eye look

+3

Some people find this look desireable while others find it unacceptable and a sign of "overdone surgery". This is typically accomplished using a technique called lateral canthopexy or canthoplasty.

Surgery for cat's eye look

+2

The cat’s eye look is probably referring to either a canthopexy or canthoplasty procedure that is only indicated for certain people who have rounded lower eyes or hound dog-looking eyes. It is not done on everybody; otherwise it would make a normal person’s eye look surgical.

Cat's Eye Blepharoplasty

+2

Great question. In fact, this is a question that is frequently raised by prospective patients as something they specifically don't want.

What you are describing is an elevation of the outer corner (lateral canthus) of the eye. The lateral canthus is the condensation of muscle fibers that attach the eye muscle to the bone of the orbital rim; this can be elevated and re-attached to create the look you are describing.

However, this procedure crosses over from what I describe as rejuvenative to one that is transformative. In other words, it will substantially change the way your eyes look, and in certain circumstances is a hallmark of looking "done" in the plastic surgery sense. Think about these facts and look at photographs of numerous patients before you proceed.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

The cat is not out of the bag!

+2

I have not heard of this named procedure but it is important that cosmetic surgery produce an improvement that is natural. This is true all cosmetic surgery but in my opinion especially for a blepharoplasty. Significantly altering the position of the eyelids can produce complications that may affect the eye by not allowing the eyelids to protect the eye. This may produce dryness of the surface of the eye, abnormal eyelash position that could irritate the eye, and abnormal drainage pattern of tears that would produce constant tearing just to name a few. Be aware of offers that may have catchy names and produce unnatural results. Do your research!

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Cat's eye surgery

+2

I have never heard specifically about this type oif surgery, but I think that you are referring to a canthopexy or canthoplasty of the lateral canthus of the eye. This is often done to support the lower eyelid during bleharoplasty. I never want my patients to have a cat's eye look because that is not natural.

The Cat's Eyes

+2

This surgery is called a canthoplasty and yes, it can be done. If you think about it generically then most of us would say that it is cosmetically not a good thing. I don´t perform it for patients who have a nice corner to their eye, but there are some cases where it is helpful or even necessary (for patients with very bulging eyes that have their lower lids done.

Most would say that it is an operation seen on Nip Tuck and some of the worst plastic surgery results in magazines and the patient looked ridiculously stretched and wierd looking...Perhaps there is a role for this surgery though. Imagine where someone´s eyelids are very saggy and almost appear as though they need their eye´s canted a little bit.

In common circumstances this operation will give a very operated on look which is undesireable. Some people aren´t the most common circumstance. Ask your board certified plastic surgeon to counsel you on this decision.

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Cat eye look

+2

The only time this is appropriate is if the outer corner of the eyes have a downward slant (known medically as an anti-Mongoloid slant) resulting in a sad eye appearance. The surgery to correct that is a lateral canthopexy.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery for a "cat's eye" look? Don't do it.

+1

It's amazing how little one has to reposition the lateral canthus (the outer corner of the eye) to change the over look of the patient's face. As little as a millimeter or two can be very obvious.

However, such repositioning is highly unlikely to give a patient a "sexy" look to the eyes. Far more likely is the chance that it will make the eyes look weird, asymmetrical, or "surgical." We specifically try to avoid that, in fact.

I'd be really leery of any surgeon offering such a technique and I'd be very curious to see his/her actual before and after photos of patients who'd had that.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Canthoplasties Can Produce a More Feline Shape to Eyelids

+1

When performing lower eyelid surgery, I usually tighten the lateral canthus (the outer junction of the upper and lower eyelids) to prevent ectropion (the pulling of the lower eyelid away from the eyeball itself).

If a patient has an established ectropion (from nerve injury, scarring, age, or whatever), I might tighten the lower eyelid even more with a procedure called a lateral tarsal strip canthoplasty. However, I have never performed this surgery to change someone's "look." The result may be bizarre, and will likely be unnatural.

Good plastic surgery should provide natural, stable results. If a patient asked to look like a cat, I would probably turn her away.

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Cat's eye look

+1

Any surgery that is performed should be tailored to that individual and in harmony with their facial structures. Attempting to mimic the appearance of a cat would not be in one's best interest. Thank you, and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD