Is It Safe to Have Laser Eye Surgery?

I had cataracts removed from both eyes and now the I am told that I need laser to clear up my vision. Is this a safe procedure?

LASIK is Safe to Have Afer Cataract Surgery

+1

LASIK after cataract surgery is very safe.  With Intralase, the all-laser LASIK, it is actually safer than the cataract surgery itself. 

The things to be aware of is issues such as dry eyes, healing times, and medical conditions such as Diabetes are more common and must be carefully considered in LASIK patients.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Laser surgery after cataract surgery

+1

LASIK can be a great way to fine-tune your vision after cataract surgery.  It typically has a much higher accuracy than picking of an IOL.  Cataract surgeons commonly send their patients to me to refine the vison.  We can fix residual nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.  I prefer to wait for three months after surgery before LASIK.

Chicago Ophthalmologist

Laser surgery after cataract surgery can correct your vision

+1

There are several types of laser surgery that might help you after cataract surgery. First, a posterior capsulotomy with the YAG laser may clear cloudiness behind the lens implant. LASIK or PRK can correct residual nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. I favor PRK in this setting for extra safety, but LASIK is also reasonable.

Vancouver Ophthalmologist

Capsulotomy is one of the safest procedures performed

+1

You are most likely referring to a laser capsulotomy.  About 20% of cataract implant patients need to have the capsule (the envelope that surrounded the cataract and now holds the artificial lens implant or replacement) “polished” or “cleansed” with a laser.  Usually the patient will notice a gradual decrease in vision before the surgeon recommends this treatment.  The laser is very fast, painless, and often can be done in the office.  The recovery is almost immediate.  The procedure is one of the safest we perform.

New York Ophthalmologist

Is it safe to have laser eye surgery?

+1

Laser surgery can be safe if you are a good candidate and have had an appropriate preop workup and consultation to ensure that it is a safe procedure for you to undergo.  This can be a good adjunct to help correct your vision after cataract surgery if you do not want to wear glasses or contacts.

Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Go for it!

+1

I agree with all of the other doctors. It is safe to have laser vision correction surgery after cataract surgery so long as you wait the appropriate period of time after healing from the cataract surgery. This is a great way for patients who undergo cataract surgery to fine-tune their vision if it isn't exactly where it should be following surgery. Sincerely, Dr. Clinch

Washington DC Ophthalmologist

LASIK after cataracts

+1

yes, it is safe to have laser vision correction (LASIK or PRK) after cataract surgery.  It is actually becoming much more common as more people desire spectacle independence.  I recommend waiting 3 months after cataract surgery before having laser vision correction. 

San Francisco Ophthalmologist

LASIK or PRK after Cataract Surgery

+1

It is safe and effective to have either PRK or LASIK after cataract surgery. The reason this is performed is to improve the patients vision without eyeglasses. I typically recommend waiting 3 months after the cataract procedure to make sure everything is healed and stable. I generally prefer to do PRK after cataract surgery, though other surgeons prefer LASIK and I am not opposed to it.

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

LASER Surgery to clear vision following cataract surgery

+1

During cataract surgery a membrane called the posterior capsule is left in the eye. The IOL is placed in front of this membrane. 20% of the time this membrane will become cloudy or wrinkled, causing a decrease in vision.

This is called an "after cataract" or posterior capsule opacification (PCO). PCO is treated with a simple procedure called a YAG capsulotomy, whereby a laser places a small whole in the cloudy membrane. This clears the visual pathway to improve vision within a few days. This is a very safe procedure with minimal side effects.

West Orange Ophthalmologist

LASIK is safe after cataract surgery, in most cases

+1

You can have LASIK after cataract surgery in most cases, but it is important that the eye is well healed from the cataract procedure, that it was done with a small incision (phaco) and that an all laser approach is used since the eye pressure can be increased more with a microkeratome than with a femtosecond method. Residual near sightedness or farsightedness along with astigmatism can be corrected, but another alternative is a lens exchange if the power of the lens is very far from what was anticipated.

Denver Ophthalmologist