How long Will a Cast Be Worn After an Open Procedure Rhinoplasty for a Dorsal Hump Removal?

Casting after rhinoplasty

+2

I like to leave the cast on for about 7-10 days: this stabilizes bones and controls swelling and bruising.

Nasal Splint After Rhinoplasty

+1

After rhinoplasty (open or closed), the nasal splint is usually removed within 7 days and then tape can be applied, in some cases, if needed for swelling.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Cast Placement Following Hump Reduction Rhinoplasty

+1

I normally recommend my patients wear the cast over the nasal bridge for 5-6 days following rhinoplasty. Individual rhinoplasty surgeons have their own particular reasons for why they leave the cast on for a shorter or longer period of time. I prefer to take the cast off at 5-6 days so I can see where the bones have settled out after they have been repositioned and swelling has started to resolve. If needed, I recommend what are called nasal exercises shortly thereafter to help optimize the final positioning of the nasal bones (and therefore the alignment of the bridge). Not all patients need to do this following rhinoplasty, but I like to institute this sooner rather than later if necessary. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long to keep cast on after rhinoplasty

+1

I usually leave the cast on about 1 week in these situations. The important thing to find out is how long your surgeon actually leaves it as it can vary somewhat from person to person.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

The nasal dressing after Rhinoplasty Surgery typically stays in place for a week.

+1

Rhinoplasty splints and dressings are typically removed around one week post-op. It's much easier to remove at day 7 as compared to day 5 when the nose has more swelling. The integrity of the dressing is important after having a dorsal hump removed: your nasal bones need to remain imobilized for a week to prevent shifting.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

How long Will a Cast Be Worn After an Open Procedure Rhinoplasty for a Dorsal Hump Removal?  I typically use a silastic cast over paper tape after a Rhinoplasty and the cast is removed after 1 week.

Open or closed rhinoplasty cast is left on about a week

+1

Leave the cast on the nose for 6 to 7 days after an open or a closed rhinoplasty following dorsal hump removal.  After the skin is cleaned I instruct patients on how to apply tape to the tip of the nose at night if tip work was done.  Best wishes.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Dressing(cast/splint)

+1

This will vary from surgeon to surgeon but my preference when osteotomies are involved is one week. Please consult your surgeon for his/her preferences.

Stephen E. Metzinger, MD
Metairie Plastic Surgeon

Post-operative Rhinoplasty

+1

Personally, I have my patients keep their cast on for 1 week.  On the day of removal, I instruct them to soak their face in the shower.  This helps loosen the cast which then peels off easily.  The cast is used to keep everything in its place after surgery.  Once the cast is off, it is very important to protect the nose.  The most common injuries that I see during this important healing time is getting accidentally hit by a dog or child.  Be careful especially careful around them!

Good luck

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

One week for cast after rhinoplasty

+1
While this varies from surgeon to surgeon I personally leave my casts on for seven days and remove them with no post operative taping. This is usually the same regardless of the extent of the procedure. While your question asks how long for removal of cast after dorsal hump reduction there are usually other procedures done. I never leave the splint or cast on for more then seven days and I remove the packs usually in twenty four hours. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD