Cast Just Removed After 1wk; Too Early to Tell if Tip Deprojected Enough?

I had my dorsal hump reduced, tip was deprojected, deviated septum corrected, and had alar batten grafts inserted (w/ spreader grafts). I have done my homework, and was prepared to see a lot of swelling around the tip and middle of the nose. I know each case varies, but if you could say on average, how much should I expect the overall tip swelling to decrease? Will it be 70% of its current size? 80%? 65%? Any idea how far the tip might look over-projected right now? 1-3mm? I feel like Wimpy!

One week post-op after rhinoplasty

+1

All bets are off after one week.  Usually there is significnat swelling. AS for how much, it is hard to tell. Everyone is so different. Be patient, alot of swelling usually will improve within 6-8 weeks.

1 week post-op

+1

1 week post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - be patient and follow up with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD

Quit Worrying About Your Result 1 Week After Your Rhinoplasty

+1

This is the hard part. You have gone through a process where you searched for and chose a surgeon, went through all the preoperative preparation, bought medicines, had surgery, took medicines, laid around for a couple of days, had bruising and swelling, and now 1 week after surgery are looking for validation that you did the right thing. Guess what? You are 1 week into an 8 month recovery. As much as you want to be able to predict the result at this point in time, you simply can't.  Take a deep breath, do a meditation exercise (heck- have a shot of tequila), and relax. You will have quite a bit of swelling at a week. The swelling in the tip will absolutely take 6-8 months to completely go away. Everyone is different, making it impossible to say what % change you will see over the next 6 months. At this point you simply can't tell. Trust your doctor ( after all, you chose him or her for a reason), give it some time, and you will very likely be happy in the end. Good luck. 

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cast just removed after rhinoplasty

+1
Typically the nasal shape is very good after the cast is removed, and though there is is swelling and stiffness, the balance and improvements should present. How much the tip will shrink and define is a guess and can depend on the thickness of the skin, and the amount of support in the new tip. Only time will tell.