Removal of Cast 3 Days After Rhinoplasty

I am 17 and had a Rhinoplasty done 5 days ago. The procedure was open and consisted of removing a dorsal hump and refining the tip. My surgeon removed the cast 3 days after the surgery. Should I be worried as it may be too soon? I currently have no tape nor anything covering my nose.

Rhinoplasty Cast Removal

+1

Surgeons will remove the cast at different times after surgery. Regardless of when the cast is removed, I always advise my patients to avoid all nasal trauma for 6 weeks after the operation. 

Rhinoplasty Recovery: Nasal Cast/Splint

+1

Surgeons frequently place an external splint on the exterior of the nose after surgery. The splint can help preserve the operative result and also can aid in reducing swelling.

Each surgeon has his or her preference of the duration that the cast/splint remains in place. While most surgeons leave the cast on for 5-8 days, having the cast removed at three days should not pose a problem -- but, BE CAREFUL NOT TO HIT YOUR NOSE -- any trauma to your nose in the first several weeks following rhinoplasty can potentially damage the underlying structures and detract from your result.

If you have any questions, you should return to see your surgeon. He or she can reassure you that everything is progressing as it should and that your nose is fine.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

No problem with this.

+1

Some surgeons leave on the cast longer depending on what was done at the time of surgery. Just be careful as you would if you were wearing the cast so as not to hit it hard.

It is up to your surgeon

+1

Personally, I leave the tapes and cast on for at least 7 days. However, sometimes certain procedures are slightly different and require different care.

I can only guess why he/ she removed it so soon after your surgery since I was not your surgeon. Perhaps he/ she did not have to break your bones and felt that it was not necessary to have you covered for longer. There could be other reasons as well.

If you are still worried, you should call your surgeon and ask him/ her for explanation. Your surgeon should be able to explain why he/she did what they did.

The bottom line is that I am sure your surgeon has a good reason. If you were to ask, I am sure you would be given a very logical explanation.

John Diaz, MD