Are There Cases Where Juvederm Has Not Dissolved Naturally?

It has been almost 9 months since I received juvederm injections, and there are still lumps/bumps everywhere it was injected into my top lip. This was a VERY painful procedure for me. I received a dental block but no topical numbing agent. Scared to look to get the dissolving agent due to pain.

Lumps and bumps after Juvederm

+1

It is unusual for the products like juvaderm to remain as lumps in your lips after 9 months.  They will most likely resorb over the next few months but if they bother you , you  may be able to have them dissolved by hyaluronidase.

Juvederm has not dissolved naturally

+1

Very unusual. I would try excision or injection of hylaurondiase by an expert injector with experience. Also maybe some more time with massage the area could help.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Fillers in the lip and bumps

+1

Although fillers including Restylane and Juvederm, often dissolve faster in the lips then other areas, I have seen patients who retained their product for more than a year. If you had that much pain during the procedure despite a dental block, it is understandable that you are reluctant to undergo the procedure again or to have hyaluronidase injected.  There are different ways to peform a dental block and a different physician might be able to make you much more comfortable!

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm duration

+1

Juvederm typically lasts 6-12 months. At 9 months, I would just wait another 3 months until it resolves completely. If it does not resolve naturally you should discuss options with your dermatologist. Though most often the best approach is just waiting.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon