Recent Cases of Facial Fat Atrophy with Thermage?

I've heard that Thermage could cause fat atrophy but I've also heard that is something of the past (different tips, higher settings, less passes). So I'm wondering if that's the case then does that mean there haven't been recent cases of fat atrophy with Thermage?

Thermage and fat atrophy

+1

With the new Thermage CPT device, fat atrophy should not occur.  Years ago, patients were sedated and could not give feedback regarding pain when the settings were too high and there were cases of fat atrophy. 

We use low settings with multiple passes in a specific pattern for tightening and lifting and have never had a patient develop fat atrophy.

Make sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has expertise in Thermage. 

Toronto Dermatologist

No fat atrophy with Thermage if properly done

+1

It is amazing how hard it can be to change initial impressions. When Thermage first came out many years ago, it was painful and unpredictable and there were some cases of fat atrophy. The technology and treatment techniques were changed and for some years now it has been a more predictable and safe procedure. However, there are a few things to keep in mind: It is not a substitute for a facelift, and works best in younger (40's) patients. Another is that there still is some discomfort, so some practitioners are heavily sedating their patients in order to crank up the treatment settings, hoping for a better result. This is where the risk of complications starts to come back in.

Richard Baxter, MD