Have Any Cases of Facial Distortion Been Reported with Ulthera?

How does the practitioner control an even delivery of energy? Is it okay for an aesthetician to do this treatment? saggy chin

Ultherapy for facial tightening and lifting

+1

In our practice either a dermatologic surgeon or plastic surgeon performs the treatment. Different state regulations allow different level providers to perform different techniques.

The software allows the provider to keep track of the energy delivered to each site and they can refer to this information as they treat the other side to make sure there is a balance of treatment. Some times, there is marked asymmetry from one side to the other before treatment and the doctor might want to treat one side with more energy lines than the other to help create a better symmetry.

Ultherapy allows precision visualization and delivery of MFU (microfocused ultrasound)

+1

Elareda: The Ultherapy unit screen allows the practitioner to visualize the relevant anatomy, which should be avoided (blood vessels and bone), to decrease the risks of bruising and pain. It makes the outcomes virtually problem free, although there are certain anatomical zones, lateral brow, where the scarcity of subcutaneous fat allows the energy to be perceived more vividly.  There are some technical variations, in addition to premedication, topical anesthetic creams, etc. which the practitioner can employ to decrease any discomfort during the treatment.  Any pain is limited to the time of treatment. Some of my patients have actually proposed "solutions" which I use.  The Ultherapy unit is designed with patient safety and comfort a top priority, equal only to aesthetic outcome.  As this technology is relatively new to my practice, I am currently performing all treatments.  In the future, given Ulthera's wide safety index, I think treatments could be entrusted to a conscientious nonphysician extender.  

Lavinia Chong, MD

Complications with Ultherapy

+1

To date, as far as I am aware, there have been no reported cases of facial distortion, burns, or other major complications with Ultherapy.

For most patients, once Ultherapy is done, you may experience mild redness and swelling. It is minor enough that other people are unlikely to notice. You may get bruising. This usually goes away in days to weeks.

The skin can remain tender and feel bruised or "tingling-like" for many days after the procedure. This sensation really only occurs when you press on the treated area.

The procedure can be painful, however, there has been an upgrade (Ultherapy Amplified) that has decreased the pain. I recommend that patients take 800mg of ibuprofen, and either Vicodin (narcotic), or Valium (anti-anxiety) medication.

I have seen some fabulous results.  

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial skin thightening with Ultherapy

+1

As far as I know there have been no causes reported of facial distortion created by Ultherapy.

Proper facial evaluation with the right plan should result in the appropriate results.

I personally do the treatments but if properly supervised and trained a nurse or physician assistant or aesthetician can perform the procedure.

Good luck !

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon