Eye Bags After Sculptra and Juvederm, is Hylauronidase the Answer? (photo)

I've had 5 vials of Scupltra and 4 vials of Juvederm over the past year. Bags starting appearing under my eyes after the Sculptra. My doctor filled in with Juvederm - 4 vials in my cheeks and jawline. 6-7 months later, the bags are still there. I went back 2 weeks ago concerned about the bags and she used hylauronidase. They're worse now. She wants to do another round of hylauronidase but I'm nervous that I could make the situation worse. Will these bags ever go away? What do I do at this point?

Sculptra and Juvederm and Removal

+1

Once the places of injection have been determined, hyaluronidase can be injected to break down the hyaluronic acid if necessary.  Sculptra injection cannot be remedied and has a long-lasting effect.

Juvederm and Sculptra

+1

I would advise another treatment with hyaluronidase which will only dissolve the Juvederm, not the Sculptra.  Your physician should have a record of the sites into which each product was injected.  If you then have hollows in the tear trough area, a small amount of Restylane should be used instead of Juvederm. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Swelling after Sculptra and Juvederm

+1

I concur with the two other physicians here.  I would try some Hylauronidase which should help with the Juvederm.  Although it won't work on the Sculptra, it may improve the overall swelling.

Sam Naficy, MD

Sculptra and Juvederm treatment

+1

Agree with Dr. Rueckl.  It is very important to know where the Sculptra was placed.  If Sculptra was placed around the orbital region, then I'm afraid the effects will be very long lasting, years to be more specific.  Hyaluronidase only works on the Juvederm.  The Sculptra will dissolve in around 2 years leaving behind increased collagen that will be there for years after. I never inject Sculptra around to orbit.  I will place it along the cheek bone (zygoma) to help rebuild the cheek.   Please contact your injector and specifically ask where the Sculptra was injected.  I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Curt Samlaska, MD

Sculptra and Juvederm

+1

It would be important for us to know where the Sculptra was injected in this case. Hyaluronidase only works on HA fillers like Juvederm and Restylane. It will have no effect on the Sculptra. So depending upon where the Scultra was injected and at what points each vial was injected, that filler builds on itself over a specific timeperiod. If it was injected around those areas only, you could end up with bags under your eyes because every other area has lifted and volumized, but the area under your eyes is left looking hollowed and sunken.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD