How Strong is the Cartilage After Septorhinoplasty?

Hi. I had a septorhinoplasty done just over 2 years ago. Recently I've had a few minor knocks to my nose, but nothing that caused any pain. I'm now aware of a small rounded swelling on the side of the nose near the tip, but I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid and am seeing things because I'm anxious! How strong would the cartilage be at this stage, and how easy is it to damage the result? Thanks very much.

Post Septorhinoplasty effects

+1

At two years post-operation the structures are fully healed in your nose and the cartilage is as strong as it was before surgery. Any changes you see may be due to the surgery you had and not necessiarly the trauma.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I think that I answered this question that was phrased differently.  IMO, you should see your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for evaluation, if possible.  This lump could be an internal suture, in the tip cartilages, that could have ruptured.  It could also be a displaced or cracked tip cartilage graft.  If that's the case, a Revision Rhinoplasty or Tip Plasty would be required.

How Strong is the Cartilage 2 Years after Rhinoplasty?

+1

Minor trauma 2 years after a rhinoplasty will not cause any problems. While the cartilage is just as strong as it was pre-operatively, the strength of your nose depends on the surgical techniques of your surgeon. Hopefully the continuity and support of the underlying structures, both bone and cartilage,  has been maintained or improved. The bump that you now observe is probably temporary.

Nasal cartilage after septal surgery

+1

Usually with septal surgery or even a submucous resection in which a portion of the septum is removed, the nasal cartilage remains pretty durable and should not be unstable.  At two years, it should be fine.

Nose Injury 2 Years after Rhinoplasty

+1

After 2 years, the cartilage should be stable. You can check with your original rhinoplasty surgeon if you think anything has changed.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Injury 2 years after rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty results are very stable 2 years after your surgery. As a matter of fact, I think, for all practical purposes, your nose is stronger than ever at 2 years.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Two years post rhinoplasty should be fine

+1
While any knock to the nose may cause damage either pre or post rhinoplasty, if it was minor you should be fine. Two years post surgery the nasal bones are very strong and there should be no problems with trauma there. Nasal surgery does take time for all of the healing and swelling to dissipate and you may just be seeing the normal healing process take place. While most swelling is gone within a year you may have some residual swelling that has gone down and now that you are examining it daily you may notice differences that were semi apparent before. The best plan is to make a recheck appointment to see your surgeon for reassurance and hopefully he/she can ease your mind. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD