How Does Cartilage Recover from Rhinoplasty, Especially for Nose Graft? Do They Stay Permanent?

I am a 23year old male, thinking about fixing the side of my nose, which exhibits open-roof condition. Because I understand that it is impossible to have cartilage adopts a new shape without permanent support, since cartilage growth and repair occurs extremely slow. I am a bit scared that how would doctors keep them in shape permanently. Does this mean I got to live with for foreign objects, such as permanent stitches in my nose, and that my nose would never be as strong as natural nose? Thanks

Permanence of cartilage grafts in Asian rhinoplasty

+1

An open roof deformity is more commonly corrected by performing osteotomies, and bringing the nasal bones together in the midline to "close" the deformity.

Cartilage grafts can also work well as contour and camouflage grafts to cover minor deformities.  In this capacity they don't need to provide much structure, and ear cartilage is soft and well-suited for this task.  The advantage of your own cartilage (autologous) is that it becomes incorporated into your nose 100% and will give you a permanent result.  

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyspecialist.com/revision-rhinoplasty/

Most of your own cartilage grafts will stay permanent.

+1

There are many different materials to use in reconstructing an open-roof nose deformity. These include synthetic materials, your own bones from different areas of the body, and your own cartilages from nose, ear and rib. They all have distinct advantages and disadvantages. The choice of the material to use is usually based on the severity and the surgeon's personal preference.

Although warping and absorption may occur with cartilage grafts, most of the cartilages usually do stay for a long time.

Cartilage graft healing

+1

An open roof deformity occurs when a hump has been removed in a previous rhinoplasty and the roof has not been closed.  Any indentations on the side of the nose can be addressed with cartilage grafting which are placed directly over the area needed to be strengthened.  Sutures are not required for placement of a cartilage graft.  Cartilage acts inside the new skin pocket quite readily.  This is all done as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia.

Cartilage graft following asian rhinoplasty

+1

Cartilage grafts tend to heal very well for dorsal augmentation for Asian Rhinoplasty.  Because they are your own tissue, there are less chances of rejection, extrusion and infection, compared to synthetic grafts that are used a lot in Asia.  I prefer using ear cartilage graft as the donor scars tend to be invisible behind the ear.  Make sure you adhere to your surgeon's post-operative protocol closely in order to avoid post-operative complications and have the best outcome possible.

Web reference: http://www.drlacerna.com

Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Cartilage grafts heal very well in the nose and are kept in place using absorbable (dissolving) sutures or permanent ones.  Depending on what is done, the nose can be stronger than the original one.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/procedures2/asianrhinoplasty

Cartilage Grafts in Rhinoplasty

+1

The cartilage grafts are held in place with suture and rhinoplasty surgeons use absorbable or permanent depending upon preference.

Cartilage grafts

+1

Cartilage grafts are permanent. They are often secured with sutures.  The sutures can be absorbable or permanent.

Cartilage Grafts for Rhinoplasty

+1

There are several options available for grafting during rhinoplasty. These include foreign materials such as Goretex and Silicone or materials from your own body such as septal, ear, or rib cartilage.

Your own cartilage is usually the best option as it has a lower incidence of complications such as infection or rejection.

There is a chance that the cartilage may resorb slightly, but it is quite low especially with septal or rib cartilage. The goal is to establish longterm support and structure of the nose.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon