How Much Cartilage is Needed for a Taller Nose?

I am of asian and european descent, however I have a short asian nose. I don't want to use implants or my ribs, would my ear catilage be enough to make difference?

Asian rhinoplasty using autologous grafts

+2
First of all, wise decision to say no to synthetic implants.  
The amount of cartilage required for your rhinoplasty will depend solely on the degree of change you hope to achieve.  Will cartilage harvested from your septum and ear be sufficient to give you a significant change?  Most definitely.  Will it give you the maximal change?  No.  If you are completely against rib cartilage being harvested, and this is your first rhinoplasty, then a combination of your septal cartilage and one or both ears will give you a significant result.  
Rib cartilage is great for patients who have undergone prior surgeries (where cartilage has already been used) and for patients seeking the absolute maximum difference.  There is simply much for cartilage available to graft when rib is harvested, allowing for greater augmentation and a nose that is taller.  

How Much Cartilage for Taller Nose/

+2

I have been augmenting Asian nose to increase projection and definition for 35 years and never found it necessary to harvest from the ribs. I've always had adequate cartilage in the septum and ears.  

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Without pictures it is difficult to say how much cartilage you would need, but in all liklihood you can get enough from the septum and ears to make a difference. Good luck.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty and ear cartilage for augmentation

+1

Ear cartilage is often not enough for dorsal augmentation  for a patient of Asian descent. It is better to use rib cartilage or other product in most cases.

Asian rhinoplasty dorsal augmentation

+1

If the patient's own tissues are being used to augment the nasal bridge, it is always best to use nasal cartilage first. Nasal cartilage is straighterNormal flatter, and is a better augmentation material than ear cartilage. Ear cartilage is acceptable, after  the cartilage in the dose has been depleted. The amount of cartilage needed will depend upon how much augmentation is required and shallow the  nasal dorsum is. The best answer to find out is to seek a  in person examination and consultation by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Virtual rhinoplasty software is available on our website for you to see how much augmentation  you may require

Options with an asian rhinoplasty

+1

Usually there is enough cartilage present in the septum to use as a graft to extend the projection of the distal nose.  This could include a collumelar strut graft with a possible tip graft.  On occasions a dorsal onlay graft will be needed as well.  

Asian nose rhinoplasty involves using cartilage from your septum and ears to give enough height to your bridge.

+1

Asian nose rhinoplasty involves using cartilage from your septum and ears to give enough height to your bridge. There is no need to use rib cartilage in my experience.

How much cartilage for my nose

+1

Each case is individual and it will depend on how much augmentation you are looking for. If you have never had any previous surgery then you will most likely have enough from your septum and ears. The diced cartilage and fascia technique for Asian augmentation is popular right now  and with it there is less of a need for large single pieces of cartilage.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon