I Have No Cartilage in my Nose Whatsoever. So I Wonder Can Rhinoplasty Add Cartilage to my Nose?

My nose really has no shape. When I lay down my nose falls with me. I really would like to know can rhinoplasty fix this. Can they add cartilage or a bone in my nose to give it a shape? And if yes how much would that cost? Thank you.

Floppy Nose

+1

Wow.  That's really unusual.  Have you had surgery on your nose in the past that removed much of the cartilage?  I once published a paper on a whole family who had not nasal bones, but they all had cartilage.  

Common sources of cartilage to rebuild the nose are from the nasal septum (the wall in the middle of your nose), the ears and even a rib.  If you need bone, it can be taken from the skull.

Cost is a hard question to answer.  It depends on the experience of the surgeon and the part of the country you are in.  Should range from $6000 to $20,000 including hospital and anesthesia costs.  This is probably a 3-5 hour operation in your case.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are a number of options for building strength and shape into a nose

+1

There is an ascending list of choices for creating strength and shape for a soft "mushy" nose. The first choice is cartilage from the nasal septum. Second is cartilage from the ear. If you need a lot of support and strength then using your own rib cartilage can help build a stronger more shapely nose.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nose Without A Shape

+1

Dear KingFitch,

Without photos and physical examination, it is hard to provide you with a specific solution.

Nonetheless, if your case requires cartilage grafting to fix the issue then the first place a surgeon would consider is your nasal septum. If not enough cartilage is available at that area, then rib or ear cartilage will be considered.

I recommend that you seek consultations with board certified surgeons of extensive experience in the field of facial surgery for the best results possible.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best of wishes.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Alternative nasal cartilage options

+1

I have dealt with many rhinoplasty surgeries which require alternative sources for cartilage. Typically septal cartilage is the primary source for grafts required in rhinoplasty surgery. However it the patient has had prior surgery, in which the majority septal cartilage was removed, or if the changes required may need more grafts than can be provided by the patient's native septum, alternative sources for cartilage may be necessary. Several options exist depending on the specific needs. I would be happy to review your specific requirements with you.

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Without Cartilage

+1

In 35 years I've never seen a nose without cartilage. Having said that, please go to my website for instructions on pictures to submit to show the appearance of your nose.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Hard to say what you need done without photos, an exam, and a discussion of your goals.  Best to come in for consultation.  Fees can vary depending upon what you need.  Good luck.

Added Upon

+1

Yes, cartilage from your ear or rib can be added to your nose.  Septal cartilage can be shifted around if present in adequate amounts.  Cost is 8-15K.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Photos would help in the evaluation but unless you've had multiple Rhinoplasties, there is indeed cartilage in the proper areas of the nose...which are the septum, tip and upper lateral cartilages.  These cartilages can be thin and weak which would not add shape and support to your nose.  In that case an Open Rhinoplasty is performed to shape the cartilages through placement of internal sutures, thinning techniques and cartilage onlay grafts.  

Nose without cartilage.

+1

I would need to see photos of what your nose looks like to give you a proper answer. Otherwise, it is just a guess.

Rhinoplasty to Reconstruct a Bulbous Tip

+1

Hi,

If you have a ethnic nose with a soft bulbous tip, a rhinoplasty using septal cartilage can be performed to reconstruct and reinforce your tip structers. Cost may vary from 7500 to 15000, depending on where you go.

Dr,S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS