Cartilage Forming on Nose 3 Months Post Rhinoplasty Causing It to Look Droopy. Will This Go Away? (photo)

So 1 Month post rhinoplasty, I loved the results. Now that I'm 3 months post op, i feel what it seems to be like cartilage on the tip of my nose. I feel it more than I see it, but it makes my nose seem droopy & that a slight hump is forming. Why did it look so good 1 month in and looks like its getting worse 3 months after. I know that it takes 1 year to see the final results, but will my nose become more defined over the months and will this slight hump/droopyness go away? TIA for any feedback!

Tip projection/rotation after rhinoplasty

+2

In the early stages after rhinoplasty,  the tip has more rotation.  This is because of swelling at the base of the nose.  It appears that as the swelling has diminished, your nose has started to settle and you may have also lost some projection of the tip; however, less likely, some of the "slight hump" may be related to supratip scar tissue.  Only your surgeon can determine the exact nature of the problem by examining you.  If that is the case, he/she may be able to inject some Kenalog to reduce this. Follow up with your surgeon to assess this.  Good luck.

Change in tip and bridge after rhinoplasty

+2

It looks like your tip rotation (the angle that it is turned up at) is starting to come down a bit over the past couple of months. This seems to be causing the downward appearance. As the swelling goes down, the true shape of the nose also starts to become apparent. For now, you will unfortunately, just have to be patient. It will take another 6-9 months for the nose to fully heal and settle, and at that point you can reassess and determine your options. 

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Droopyness after rhinoplasty

+2

Your nose has indeed improved after your rhinolasty, however we too see underprojection of the nasal tip. This is not a supratip issue, but probably one of tip support. Of course, wait until healing is complete, and if the droop continues a tip graft might be a solution.

Droopy tip

+2

You are absolutely correct in saying that it takes a full year to see final results from your rhinoplasty.  You need to address your concerns with your surgeon at your next visit.  Occasionally you can develop scar tissue after surgery that becomes more visible as it deposits underneath skin.  If your surgeon feels as if it is scar tissue developing he or she may inject corticosteroid to help breakdown the scar tissue.  It may just be edema of the soft tissues.  Your results look excellent at three months... But follow up with your doctor.

Terrence Higgins, MD

Nasal tip with healing from rhinoplasty

+1

Sometimes with the initial swelling the tip can look a bit falsely elevated. With time, as the swelling dissipates, the tip often comes down a bit.

Cartilage Forming on Nose 3 Months Post Rhinoplasty Causing It to Look Droopy. Will This Go Away?

+1

Swelling can persist for up to a year or more, and it is difficult to predict tip position without knowing the maneuvers employed during the surgery.  I would follow with your surgeon for an exam at this stage to address your concerns.  Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, operative time, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed etc.