A Bump Has Formed 2 Months Post-Op Rhinoplasty, Could this be Cartilage or Swelling? (photo)

I had open rhinoplasty to reduce the width & size of my nose. My nostrils were taken in and I had gor-tex implant. At two months I noticed a bump on the left side of my nose. The bump is not very visible, when I touch it you can definitely tell it exists. I had my 3 month check up, my surgeon informed me it was cartilage. I told him it bothered me, he said it "might" soften, or it might be something I will have forever. What is the likelihood it will disappear, or what can be done to reduce it?

Postop rhinoplasty

+2

Please be patient during the healing process and have open communication with your surgeon.  (S)he can best guide you as to the best options to address this.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/procedures2/revisionrhinoplasty

A Bump Has Formed 2 Months Post-Op Rhinoplasty, Could this be Cartilage or Swelling?

+2

This could be scar tissue, a reaction to an internal suture in the tip cartilages or deformation/movement of an onlay cartilage tip graft.  The only person who knows be sure what was done to your nose is your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  You'll need to ask him/her this question.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Don't worry!

+2

If there is a bump you can feel but can't see, DON'T worry about it! This is often normal after surgery and is nothing to worry about. Further surgery may cause more problems than you have now. Be patient for the final results - you look like you have very thick skin, and final healing in your case may take 1 - 2 years.

Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

No Steroid Shots

+1

In my opinion at this stage the bump is going nowhere and must be surgically addressed. I would make a small incision under the nostril and visualize the problem. Then do whatever is necessary. Absolutely do not get steroid shots into the area which more than likely will add to the deformity.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1

The pictures are not very informative but be patient. One has to feel/touch as well as see. It takes at least a year for full healing and much can resolve during that time. It maybe scar tissue, cartilage, sutures, etc. Trust your PS as she/he knows best what as done and what you can expect.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump Formed 2 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

The bump you describe may not have 'formed' 2 months post rhinoplasty but became evident as swelling of the surrounding tissue decreased. If this is felt but not seen it may ultimately resolve. If it is an irregularity of the underlying cartilage  a minor revision may be necessary.

Palpable bump of nose 3 months post rhinoplasty

+1

Your surgeon will know best what this as as he was the one who performed your surgery. Be patient, though. Swelling and inflammation can take up to a year to subside. At that time, you can better assess if there is still a bump in the area. If there is something that is not visible though you can still feel it when pressing on the area, it would not generally be prudent to pursue this surgically.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Bump

+1

You are very early in the healing process. In general bumps that you feel but cannot see are not important. However, you need to wait and see.

Rhinoplasty and bumps

+1

Hello Figster,

Be thankfull you have an honest and apparently talented rhinoplasty surgeon.  It probably is cartilage, and it probably won't soften.  But thats ok, because the other side will probably look the same when the swelling subsides in a year or so.

What your surgeon didn't tell you, because he doesn't want to possibly insult you, is that you are focusing on virtually nothing, as so many rhinoplasty patients do, especially males.  Although you provide a single photo, the appearance of your nose suggests you have very thick tissues, making a good result difficult.   However, you already have a pleasing appearance, with very little evidence of the bump.  

Be patient and grateful, and don't worry.