Water Bags After Carmen Lower Lid Surgery

It has been 11 days since my surgery everything is okay bruising swollen gone around the outside the only question i have is that my eyes inside the white area looks like water bags inside my eyes is this normal and will it go away or is this something I should be concern about

Lower lid surgery

+1

If the conjunctiva is really swollen after your lower lid surgery, then you may have chemosis. You should see your doctor so that he can evaluate and treat this accordingly. This can vary with eye drops, steroids, patching, etc..  This usually responds quite nicely to the above treatments.

This is Chemosis

+1

This sounds like chemosis.  It will usually resolve without any need for further treatment.  Some surgeons provide topical steroid ointments to help with this but these ointments have inherent risks.

Follow your surgeon's post op care instructions.

Dr.ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Water Bags under lower lid lining (Conjunctiva) = Chemosis WILL resolve with conservative care

+1

Water Bags under the eyelid lining (or CHEMOSIS) is a nonspecific sign of lower lid inflammation which is seen uncommonly with lower eyelid surgery and eye trauma. (It may be otherwise seen with severe allergies, viral infections and other medical processes).

With conservative treatments ( eye lubrication to prevent dryness, steroid drops to reduce inflammation, on occasion in severe cases temporary lid stitching (Frost) to prevent eye dryness and subsequent ulceration) the vast majority will resolve in 4 to 6 weeks.

What you are describing is called chemosis.

+1

Chemosis is normal after eyelid surgery.  Procedures that tighten the outer corner of the eyelids are more commonly associated with chemosis.  Think of it as localized swelling of the white of the eye.  Occasionally this type of swelling can be severe and persist for an extended period of time.  This much less common situation is often associated with mechanical factors that result in the persistence of the swelling.  

Artificial tears, ophthalmic ointment at bedtime, and patience generally are what is needed.  Please do point out the chemosis to your surgeon at your next visit if it has persisted.  They many need to have you evaluated by an eye plastic surgeon for management suggestions if the swelling persists for more than a few weeks.