Is Non-cosmetic Botox (For Migraines) Safe During Breastfeeding?

I have discontinued use during pregnancy (and have been very ill since it wore off). Breastfeeding is a priority to me, however it would be very challenging to have daily migraines while caring for an infant. Is it safe to resume Botox after the baby is born and still breastfeed?

Botox is NOT safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding

+3

You should avoid Botox during both pregnancy and breast feeding. The safety has not been proven for your baby. You are actually receiving a higher dose for migraine treatment than you would for wrinkle treatment. Thus, you should use other, proven medications for migraine treatment until you finish breast-feeding. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox during pregnancy and/or breast-feeding

+2

Botox treatment is not indicated during pregnancy and/or breast-feeding. There are no studies or research proving it's safety during this time period, so considering other options for your migraines is the best choice for you and your child.

Sam Naficy, MD

Is Botox safe while breastfeeding?

+2

I would recommend avoiding Botox both during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. There is just no research to confirm this is safe. It would be best to speak to your provider about other ways you may relieve migraine pain. I hope this helps, and best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

No Botox during pregnancy or breasfeeding

+2

Botox treatments are not recommended during pregnancy or breastfeeding because there are no studies showing its safety. You should ask your physician to recommend other safe medications for migraine treatments until you finish breastfeeding. I hope this was helpful.

Arie Benchetrit, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Do not have Botox or other neuromodulators injected while pregnant.

+2

Botox and Dysport are safe and FDA approved treatments. There is not, however, any evidence that inejctions with either medicine is safe or not while pregnant. Pregnancy is a contrindication for injections that are done for cosmetic or non cosmetic purposes.  I hope this was helpful. best of luck.

Sean T. Doherty, MD, FACS

Use of Botox when pregnant or lactating

+1

The Black Box warning on Botox will state not tested on pregnant or lactating women.  The answer is no, do not use Botox under these conditions.  

Botox during breastfeeding

+1

Botox should not be done during breastfeeding.  There have not been studies performed to determine its safety profile during pregnancy or breastfeeding and therefored it's not worth the risk.  Talk to your physician about safer alternative medications to address your migraines during this time.

Ritu Saini, MD

Botox for migraines while breast feeding

+1

Botox treatments are not recommended during pregnancy and breast feeding. There have been no human studies examining the effect of Botox during pregnancy and breast feeding but Botox should be avoided during those periods because of any potential harm.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox during nursing

+1

Botox is a very safe and effective treatment, but has not carefully been studied in pregnancy or nursing and so the recommendation must be to avoid it, just to be safe...why take any risk?  Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

No, Botox is not recommended during pregnancy or while breast feeding, so you should wait until you are done breast feeding before having any neurotoxin injections.