How to Prepare my Body for a Tt and Breast Lift with Implants?

How should I prepare my body before going into plastic surgery? Tummy tuck and breast lift with implants?

Preparing for surgery

+1

I applaud your approach to surgery.  There are certainly things that you can do to get your body ready for this type of surgery.  If you are currently trying to lose weight, you want to try to get as close to your goal weight as you can before surgery.  If you smoke, you want to quit- and that means no nicotine, so the patch won't work.  Exercise and get your body strong.  Eat healthy and keep a balanced diet.  If you are of the age that a mammogram is recommended, have that done.  If you haven't had a physical recently, make an appointment with your primary care doctor and just make sure it is safe to have elective surgery.  Prepare yourself mentally for the recovery and of course all the good things that come from the results of your surgery! Good luck!

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for tummy tuck and breast lift with implants

+1

Thank you for asking about preparing for your tummy tuck and breast lift.

1. Your mommy make-over surgeon should give you instructions including -
  2. Take vitamin C. Avoid medicines that can make you bleed.
  3. Get all pets out of the bedroom - they can cause infections.
  4. Exercise, eat well and be sure you have at least 2-3 weeks off all chores/work.
  5. Wash with antibacterial soap x 5 days and don't shave under arms x 14.
  6. Have someone else care for your children. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

+1

Best to be in the best physical, emotional, and psychosocial “state” possible prior to undergoing major surgery.

Even in the best prepared patients, mommy makeover surgery  may be associated with  significant physical as well as  EMOTIONAL  “ups and downs”.   A few words of advice  we give to our patients may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Preop preparations?

+1

I encourage all of my patients to get in their best cardiovascular shape that they can pre op.  I believe it makes for a smoother recovery.  I have patients abstain from nicotine intake for 6 weeks preop, avoid shaving for two weeks preop, use Sage wipes the night before and the morning of surgery and if a diabetic ensure that your hemoglobin A1C is less than 7 to name a few.  Each surgeon will have their own protocols. Best follow his or her instructions

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

How to Prepare

+1

For your upcoming surgery, there is not much you need to prepare to do other than keep your weight stable.I would prefer a patient to be more mentally prepared and motivated for the procedure. Keep you expectations positive but reasonable. Follow your surgeon's instructions. Look good and feel great is what I would want my patients to feel after surgery. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Surgery preparation

+1

To prepare for your surgery, review your preoperative and postoperative care instructions, makesure you have someone to help you for a few days, get your postop prescriptions filled out, and weeks before surgery, maximize your nutrition.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS