How to Take Care of Sutures?

I got stitches across my forehead just a day back from a plastic surgeon and now and now my main concern is to minimize scarring as much as possible.Please suggest how to care during this week while I have my stitches on.Like how often I can wash my face and can they get wet and can soap be applied.What is the ideal way to dry them.I read we should not use towel to dry rather tissue.

Suture care to prevent scarring

+3

I almost always tape my wound closures with flesh colored 3M micropore tape to protect the wound from sun exposure and dessication.  In your instance, I would recommend twice daily cleansing with hydrogen peroxide on a Q-tip followed by application of Polysporin ointment to keep the wound moist.  The forehead typically heals very well if the incision lies within the relaxed skin tension lines.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimizing scars after sutures

+2

When you are this early out, I hope you have already asked your PS what was best in their opinion.  Basic rules avoid sun exposure, no tension or blunt trauma, scar massage after sutures out, over the counter products if you believe in them (ie: silicone products), and luck that your scar falls in the natural wrinkle lines.  Best to still clear things with your PS

Curtis Wong, MD