Care Credit - Breast Implant Financing Options

i talked to a plastic surgeon about financing my breast augmentation surgery. She said that Care Credit charged her exhorbitant fees so she wouldn't take it.  Since getting credit is really hard now days, are doctors more welcoming of Care Credit even if it costs them more? Will doctors make me pay more to use Care Credit?

Plastic Surgery Financing - Buyer Beware

+6
I am strongly against plastic surgery financing programs, and I have never offered them in my practice. Most, if not all, plastic surgery financing plans are not only a bad idea but also a bad deal for many patients - in some ways that are easily apparent but in other ways that are not as obvious. The most obvious way in which these plans are unfavorable and therefore undesirable is their terms, which often are interest-free for as long as a year, but that revert to an interest rate comparable to a high interest rate credit card (i.e. an APR of 20% or more) if a patient misses or is late on a single payment.
A high interest rate is, in fact, almost a necessity for a credit product that finances a service instead of a tangible asset like a home or an automobile. A creditor can repossess a home or a car, but they can’t repossess your breast implants So a high interest rate helps them hedge the risk of having no collateral.
If you are considering one of these financing arrangements in order to schedule a plastic surgery procedure, do your due diligence before signing on the dotted line. Make sure that you are fully informed of the consequences of missing a payment or making a late payment. Make an honest assessment of your ability to meet the terms of the contract. Look into whether or not you can obtain better financing terms with an existing credit card account or with the bank with which you have a personal banking relationship and a credit history. And give great consideration to the way in which the concept of financing is presented to you by a surgery practice – is it an option that you can explore further on your own, or is the practice trying to ‘pull you in’ by making the financial part ‘easy’ for you?

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Using Care Credit for financing plastic surgery

+5

What all patients need to understand is that Care Credit offers two basic plans, one in which the patient is charged no interest and their debt is divided into different monthly payment intervals, and the other side of the plan where the patient does pay interest but can defer full payment for up to 5 years.

The thing most patients DON'T understand is that in both versions, the plastic surgeon is also paying interest to Care Credit to help you to have surgery. Don't forget the big favor your doctor is doing for you in paying interest to help you have surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Care Credit - Financing and Plastic Surgery

+3

There a number of options for financing your plastic surgery or breast augmentation surgery. These include financing the surgery with your local bank or possible using your health savings account. In addition, there a a number of companies that offer financing for cosmetic surgery including Care Credit. To learn of other options, visit our Jacksonville plastic surgery financing page.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Financing Plastic Surgery

+3

Hi there-

There are, in fact, many ways to finance your plastic surgery, and the company you mention is just one of the more commonly known.

All have varying plans and incentives for patient and surgeon, but make no mistake about it- they are in this business to make money, and they WILL get their money from somewhere...

In most plans, the borrower (you) pay interest to borrow the money, but (as with credit cards) the surgeon pays a fee as well- this is the case with CareCredit. Depending on the fees and the percentages, this can add up and become quite onerous. So each surgeon ends up choosing which plans they will work with and which they will not.

In my experience, the patients who have had the most comfortable financing experience are those who financed through their personal bank- who charged them a low interest rate (because they already have a relationship) and did not charge my practice a fee.

In our practice, we do reduce fees for cash payments.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Care Credit and other financing

+3

Care Credit does take a percentage of what we charge, and this is particularly high with their no-interest plans. The other plans however are more reasonable. Many surgeons do participate with them, so the best way of finding someone in your area is to go to the Care Credit web site and check their listings for your region.

Also, Allergan, one of the breast implant manufacturers, has offered a slight discount on their Natrelle implants in the past if you use Care Credit. You can go to the Natrelle website for more information to see if this is currently being offered. Other financing programs include Chase Health Advance, although fewer providers participate with this. Best wishes and good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Care Credit - breast implant financing

+3

I personally DO NOT RECOMMEND "CARE CREDIT". I use another credit company ( that I will not mention so I can not be accused of advertising for them). The reason I do not or have stopped using them are 2 fold:

The majority of the applicants are already lower income or financially strapped individuals. So the only approval from Care Credit is an additional fee to me, the providing doctor. I'm not in practice to help pay for the patent's surgery. I know I can look at it as a discount from me to the patient. But I have been given no decision making in that issue, just a fee of a % on the loan. I find that very distasteful.

The second issue, though most find it very minor, is I need an additional terminal in my business office. It caused some confusion and I like things simple.

So from your question concerning the "exorbitant fees", I fully agree with the doctor. She has a right not only to protect the patient but also herself. No doctors are suppose not to increase their fees to cover the additional costs of financing, but each to their own. Just safe and than get the surgery. Regards from MIAMI.

CareCredit is a great way to finance your plastic surgery

+3

Hello - CareCredit does take a percentage of what we charge, but it really is that much. In fact, it is a good way to finance your plastic surgery procedure. Paying with financing is a good option, but make sure your credit score is good because credit card companies are making it harder and harder to get loans, especially for plastic surgery. Yet, if you can get it you will be able to pay off your procedure little by little instead of all at once. I accept CareCredit and my patients love it as a financing option.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Not all doctors participate with Care Credit

+3

Care Credit charges doctors a percentage of the total amount financed. The interest-free financing options tend to charge a higher percentage, so many plastic surgeons choose not to participate with these. Others forego Care Credit altogether.

Doctors cannot legally charge patients more to partcipate with Care Credit. Instead, they may choose to offer discounts to patients who pay with cash or check.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Care Credit and Financing Plastic Surgery

+3

When each one of us uses a credit card, the business accepting our credit card gives up 1.5 to 5% of the cost of the purchase to the credit card company. The reason why many businesses refuse to take American Express cards is because they lose much more money on these cards because their rates are much higher than MC/VISA.

In this economy everyone is hurting except for large financial institutions which receive almost interest free loans from the Federal Reserve (=our tax funds) while they BOTH refuse to make loans AND pay interests (0.25 - 0.5%) way below our country's current inflation rate.

To discount services or procedures at a loss = below your cost of providing them (based on one's office overhead) is a certain way to generate financial losses which may lead one to bankruptcy.

As regards Care Credit, it is a branch of GM financial (a company founded by GM to help sell their cars but which branched into financing many other things. These are also the same folks who took our TARP funds claiming that by us saving them, in turn they will help save GM and Detroit...)

Working with Care Credit and other finance companies is a personal decision each surgeon has to make. I know of no lawyers, plumbers, electricians or contractors who work with such companies and think that while useful it often does not make financial sense for many of us to work with some of them.

Dr. P. Aldea

Care Credit-Breast Implant Financing Options

+2

Care Credit is a great financing program and has helped dozens of my patients have surgery that would otherwise been unable to afford it if they had to pay the full cost up front.  The interest rate is currently about 14.9%, not cheap, but fairly standard for consumer finance compared to credit cards. You have to have a reasonably high credit score to qualify, but if you do you can finance the procedure over 2-5 years with monthly payments. 

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon