What Care Should Be Taken After Rhinoplasty?

I wanted to ask is, what all precautions to be taken after rhinoplasty, like at the time of washing our face we put a lot of pressure on our face as a whole so is it better to avoid?, and also after rhinoplasty is it ok to hit the gym?

Rhinoplasty Aftercare?

+2

The specific instructions you will receive from your surgeon will depend on the exact procedure which is performed. Also, every surgeon has a routine/protocol that he/she follows.  Probably best not to confuse instructions too much from online consultants.

+2

Each rhinoplasty surgeon has their own set of post operative instructions/protocols. Contact your chosen surgeon. In my practice I have a list of 15 items. Most important is rest no physical activities for 3 weeks at least. Others as as other experts stated. 

Postoperative care for rhinoplasty

+2

For my patients, they wear a nasal splint for about a week and it is then removed along with skin stitches if I have performed an open rhino.  I have them limit their exertion acitivities.  No contact sports for about 6-8 weeks.  No blowing the nose for 3 weeks.  Only using nasal mist spray or gentle q-tip cleaning after showering from week 1-3.  No glasses leaning on the nose for 3-6 weeks.

Postoperative care for Rhinoplasty

+2

Postoperative instructions vary depending on what was specifically performed during your rhinoplasty, but typically you will have some or all of the following: 

After rhinoplasty you will likely have an external splint on your nose for a week. You won't wash it during this time. Afterwards, you will need to carefully wash your face and nose, NOT a lot of pressure. Particularly if you had osteotomies performed. 

You will want to avoid blowing your nose, picking your nose (seriously), or inserting anything in your nose for 6-8 weeks. 

Try to sleep on your back for the first several weeks, with a few extra pillows. 

Regarding exercise, if you think there's a chance you could injure your nose, or have it injured by equipment, other people, or by losing balance, you should avoid that activity. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after care

+1
You should ask your surgeon for their guidelines, as they may be different. However, this is what I generally recommend:

Wait 6 weeks before going back to the gym.
Don't be aggressive when brushing your teeth.
Don't smoke or drink for three weeks before and after surgery.
Don't take blood thinners or Vitamin E two weeks before /after surgery.
Don't swim for 6 weeks.
Be careful when putting on or taking off clothes. You should wear a button up shirt instead while your nose is healing.
Stay out of the sun for at least 6 weeks, then limit outside time after that until a year. Always wear high SPF sunscreen.
Don't touch your nose.
Don't blow your nose for 2 weeks.
Wear a splint if you wear glasses.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Precautions after rhinoplasty

+1

Patients should wait at least a year prior to undergoing tip and hump removal.  It is probably just best to go ahead and get pregnant at this point and deal with revision rhinoplasty after your pregnancy has been completed.

Care after rhinoplasty

+1

There are a number of precautions after a rhinoplasty. Most importantly, you must discuss this with your surgeon. As I am not your surgeon, take my advice with a grain of salt. These are general guidelines for my patients: no exercise for at least 2 weeks, and ideally, 6 weeks (which most patients cannot do). This will decrease swelling after surgery. It is certainly okay to wash the face throughout the postoperative period, as long as the splint is kept dry. I would also avoid pressure on the nose. Again, you should seek the advice of your surgeon on these questions.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Common sense after rhinoplasty dictates everything.

+1

Dear kkdon;

After rhinoplasty, people are wisely cautious with respect to putting any undue pressure on the nose.  I do not recommend facials for several months.  Obviously, contact sports for at least 6-8 weeks after nose job surgery are not a good idea.  For the first 10 days after rhinoplasty surgery, high-intensity exercise is not good because the blood pressure goes up and increases the chance of a nosebleed or an increase in swelling and bruising.

It is really all about employing common sense.  Face washing does not have to be done vigorously.  Your nose tells you how gentle you need to be by the amount of sensitivity you feel as you wash the skin of the nose.

Do not forget smoking is a no-no.  Keep your nose well humidified after surgery using saline nasal sprays because the nose tends to be dry.  Do not blow your nose for the first 10 days because that is likely to kick off a nosebleed.

Most likely, your rhinoplasty doctor will give you a list of what you can and cannot do during the short-term and long-term recovery process.

Good luck.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD