Cardiac Arrest? Shock? From Breast Aug?

I'm 25 112lbs 5'1 I am getting a ba beg of June and am terrified about going into cardiac arrest or the pain being so intense I go into shock? I have anxiety so at stressful times my heart races, will that cause any stress? I appreciate the answers please

Complications from breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question.  The complications you mentioned would be extraordinarily rare.  Essentially unheard of.  Your plastic surgeon should take a thorough history and perform a physical exam beyond your breasts.  He or she will operate in a safe environment and keep you extremely comfortable.  If your anxiety is very severe, additional medications at the time of surgery can help reduce this and make it a pleasurable experience.  

Best of luck to you.   

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Cardiac Arrest during Breast Augmentation?

+1

I trust you are choosing Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, as well as Anesthesiologist and accredited facility. If so you will do just fine. The risk is extremely low.

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and cardiac arrest

+1

It is extremely rare for someone to have a problem under anesthesia when undergoing a breast augmentation.  The anesthesia risk is very low.

Heavy Anxiety Prior to Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+1

Extremely low risks  of any of any of these events occurring around the time of breast augmentation surgery ( performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon, anesthesiologist, in a fully accredited surgery facility). Although some anxiety is normal, you seem to be experiencing above average anxiety;  probably best to spend additional time communicating with your plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist. Discuss relaxation techniques ( meditation, music...)  that will help you prior to surgical time.

I tell my patients that the more relaxed they are going into surgery, the smoother the postoperative course tends to be also.

Cardiac arrest or shock are unlikely

+1

Young, healthy people undergoing surgery very rarely have these type of complications.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and anesthesia provider for more reassurance and try not to worry.  Good luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Cardiac Arrest? Shock? From Breast Aug?

+1

Hi Jennifer

You are very unlikely to have any of the complications mentions. If you are young, fit, healthy with no medical problems having Breast Augmentation ( surgery less than 1.5 hrs)your risk profile is low. On the other hand if you were old, unfit and having multiple medical issues like heart problem, diabetes, liver and kidney issues and having major heart lung or abdominal surgery of a very long duration you are more likely to have these complications. You should speak to your PS and anaesthesiologist who can advise you on managing your anxiety in the lead up to the operation

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Concern

+1

Dear Jennifer. You are young and I presume healthy without a cardiac history. When anxious, most people's hearts race and it does not preclude you to a cardiac complication under anaesthesia. 

It is exceedingly unlikely you will have a cardiac issue and the discomfort from Breast Augmentation surgery is very easily controlled with simple analgesia.

If anxiety is a worry for you on the day, ask your anaesthetist to consider a premed to keep your nerves calm. This is a common practice.

Best wishes for your procedure,

Dr Kevin Ho

Kevin Ho, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Cardiac Arrest? Shock? After Breast Augmentation??

+1

Discuss your fears and concerns with your Plastic Surgeon prior to surgery.  He may want to order additional medical test for you, plus discuss this with anesthesia.  I have never seen this in the 25 plus years I have been in practice.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Cardiac Arrest? Shock? From Breast Aug?

+1

Both exceeding unlikely. I've been in practice over 25 years, have seen neither of these things happen in a   cosmetic case.

Best reassurance will come from your surgeon and anesthetist. All the best.