Encapsulation of Breast Implants. Should I Have Them Replaced?

Hello Doctors, I am a 65 year old female who is had her second set of breast implants 20 years ago. My left breast is now at a level 4 and my right is a level 3 encapsulation. I have no pain, and the even the left breast is not distorted and still has the original shape is intact. My question to you is should I have them replaced? Thanks Sharon

Encapsulation

+1

Your question is if you should have it remove and replace it really depends on how much they are bothering you. If you’re not in pain and the not distorted you can leave them alone. Too make sure that your Silicone implants have not ruptured, you should get a MRI and after results you should think about your options.

Severe capsular contracture in 20 year-old implants requires capsulectomies and new implants.

+1

Silicone gel implants from 20+ years ago may have a higher likelihood of rupture, which is one cause of capsular contracture. Baker 3 and 4 capsular contractures (the scale goes no higher than 4, the most severe) are severe, and require re-operation even if your breasts are not painful.

Present-generation silicone implants (by all 3 manufacturers) are cohesive (a very soft solid) and cannot leak. If rupture ever occurred, the implant fragments would simply remain intact as separate soft solids, like two pieces of Jell-O. Thus, they are the most advanced implants available, and significantly better than the ones you had placed 20+ years ago.

What really needs to be done is surgical removal of the tightened and thickened scar capsule on both sides, the pockets carefully enlarged, accurate hemostasis achieved, and Betadine or directed triple antibiotic (Adams formula) irrigation of each pocket before new implants are placed. Of course, you can choose slightly larger or smaller implants if you wish. Go see your surgeon and discuss the options available to you! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon