Capsulotomy or Capsulectomy? Which Will Correct a Moderate CC?

7 months post-op from initial B.A. Developed "moderate" CC on right breast at 3 months post-op (implant never dropped and began to move up) and am now considering a revision. Have consulted with numerous surgeons who vary in recommendation to perform an open capsulotomy or capsulectomy. What is the best option? Will capsulotomy correct a moderate CC? Are the success rates for both procedures relatively similar, or is one significantly more effective than the other? Thank you!

Breast Implant Capsular Contracture Best Treated with Alloderm or Strattice

+2

Capsulotomy or Capsulectomy alone to treat Capsular Contracture of Breast Implants will result in recurrence in about 50% of cases.

The best modern effective treatment for Capsular Contracture of Breast Implants is to remove the capsule - Capsulectomy - and cover the Breast Implant with Acellular Dermis. Allodern and Strattice are two common types of Acellular Dermis.

This technique is recommended by most experts today.

+1

I have had success with both capsulectomies and capsulotomies with treatment of CC. In general I find it best to remove the capsule below the pectoralis muscle.  Scoring the capsule above the muscle will sometimes be beneficial as well.  I offer the use of Dermal Matrix to all my patients, but the added cost usually reserves its use to those with recurrences. 

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Recommendations for early capsular contracture

+1

Recommendations for early capsular contracture:

• considor singular for 3 months. this is off label use but has about a 50% response rate
  • the simplest surgery for minimal contracture is capsolutomy.   less invasive can be done with local
  • worsening or recuurent consider capsulectomy with or without a graft
  • acellular dermis ie belladerm, flexiderm , alloderm

Capsular contracture correction, best long term treatment

+1

Thank you for the question. Capsular contracture (CC) is one of the potential problems with implants. The traditional way of dealing with this problem is capsulotomy, total or partial or if the capsule is thick is capsulectomy and implant exchange. There is a high recurrence rate with these procedures. A recent advancement in dealing with this problem is using tissue matrix. Alloderm, which is human dermal scaffold or Strattice, which is porcine dermal scaffold. The Alloderm can stretch over time, but the Strattice will not. Both give good long term results. In cosmetic breast surgery these materials have been used only recently, so we do not truely know how long the breasts stay soft. I have patients who are over nine months out without recurrence of the contractures. These patients were implant cripples with multiple previous procedures (capsulotomies/capsulectomies) without success. See a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in usung these materials for cosmetic breast surgery. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon