No Capsulectomy. Sagging Implants After Baby?

I had a baby last year and now my implants are sagging terribly so I want my them removed. I had a consult with my surgeon and he told me he wouldn't be doing a capsulectomy. I've spoken to 2 other surgeons and they seemed very surprised that mine wouldn't be doing a capsulectomy which has now freaked me out. My surgeon is very accomplished and is one of the best where I live so I'm wondering now, is it ok that I wouldn't be getting a capsulectomy? Or did my surgeon have a lapse in judgement?

Removal of Breast Implants

+1

Many surgeons do not remove the capsule after removing breast implants.  You may want to consider a breast lift since you state your breast are sagging.  If you are happy with the volume (size) of your breast, a breast lift may be all you need.  Otherwise, taking out the implants is not going to change your breast shape.  You will be smaller and sagging.  Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss your expectations and concerns. 

Capsulectomy with breast implant removal

+1

This is a question to ask your surgeon so that you understand the rationale.  I do not always remove the capsule, or sometimes remove only part of the capsule in this situation.  Capsulectomy does have the potential for more problems such as bleeding postoperatively as well as thinning of the tissue, and it is not always necessary.

Breast implant removal

+1

It sounds that your breast is droopy with droopy implants after having a baby. Implants removal will cause your breast to be more droopy and empty. You options then is a breast lift or a breast lift and a shaped implant replacement.

If you do not want the breast implants, then a capsulectomy is needed to prevent the deformity and possible fluid accumolation in the capsule pocket.

Doing a capsulectomy is more involved surgery, but is needed.

Breast Implant Removal and Capsulectomy?

+1

You will be best off asking this question of your plastic surgeon. Ask him about his thoughts and  rationale about doing capsulectomy with breast implant removal.

Generally speaking, in my opinion, unless the breast implant capsules have thickened and/or are otherwise symptomatic, there is no indication to have them removed. On the contrary, capsulectomy  can expose you to additional risks, such as bleeding and minimal size loss. 

Sometimes patients request removal of the breast implant capsules ( if they feel that this should be done in an effort to improve “autoimmune symptoms”);  in these cases I usually do remove the capsules  for them.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/breast-implant-removal.htm