Why Do I Need a Capsulectomy?

Long story short, I developed an infection from my first Breast Augmentation and the implant needed to be removed. During this surgery the surgeon performed a Capsulectomy, and I have been healing for over a year now. I have surgery scheduled to replace the impant with a new surgeon in two weeks, and he wants to perform another Capsulectomy. Is this necessary and if so why?

Capsulectomy Necessary?

+1

Your current plastic surgeon will be in the best position to explain the planned procedure. Online  consultants can only speculate. Clarify with your plastic surgeon and seek second opinions in person if in doubt.

Capsulectomy?

+1

If you had a previous capsulectomy, there should be no capsule at present to remove.  Obviously a new pocket has to be created for the implant.

Need for a second capsulectomy

+1

In theory, if you had a capsulectomy at the time of your implant removal you should not need a second one as there should be no capsule present. Perhaps you have scar tissue present that will need removal. Ask your surgeon to explain his/her rationale. If you are not given a satisfactory answer get another opinion. Good luck!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon