Alternative to Capsulectomy to Correct Breast Stiffness?

So I had a B/A done (under the muscle) 3 months ago. I starting developing some stiffness on my right breast and my doctor prescribed me Singulair (once a day for 3 months). A month after taking the medication my right breast showed improvement but the left developed capsular contracture and is visibly different than that of the right. He proceeded to prescribed me Medrol (21 pills treatment). Is There Anything else That I Can Do Aside from a Capsulectomy to Correct This Problem? Please Help!!!

Treating Capsular Contracture (Bad Scarring around Breast Implants)

+2

Regarding: "Alternative to Capsulectomy to Correct Breast Stiffness?
So I had a B/A done (under the muscle) 3 months ago. I starting developing some stiffness on my right breast and my doctor prescribed me Singulair (once a day for 3 months). A month after taking the medication my right breast showed improvement but the left developed capsular contracture and is visibly different than that of the right. He proceeded to prescribed me Medrol (21 pills treatment). Is There Anything else That I Can Do Aside from a Capsulectomy to Correct This Problem? Please Help
!!!"

While all foreign bodies implanted in our body (such as pacemakers, artificial joints, breast implants etc) become covered by a soft scar tissue in some people, for a variety of reasons, the scar tissue can become pronounced. When the thin capsule becomes thick and contracted , CAPSULAR CONTRACTURE, doctors can try scientifically proven treatments or anecdotal (medicalese for voodoo medicine if you will) to treat them.

NON-SURGICAL (scientifically unproven) Treatments
- Ultrasound
- Vitamin E, Papaverine, Asthma drugs (Accolate, Singulair etc)
- Closed Capsulotomy (NOT recommended - squeezing the breast hard causing the implant the crack the capsule. WAS used in the past. Will void the implant warranty).
- tossing chicken bones and saying incantations ( I made this one up)

SURGICAL Treatments
- serial cuts in the capsule to break its compression (CAPSULOTOMY) - very high rate of recurrence
- removal of Part or ALL of the capsule (CAPSULECTOMY) - high rate of recurrence
- removal of Part or ALL of the capsule (CAPSULECTOMY) with use of an acellular dermal matrix (Strattice) - lowest rate of recurrence

Re - "There Anything else That I Can Do Aside from a Capsulectomy to Correct This Problem? " - In answer to your question, if you wanted the method which appears to have the best rate of solving capsular contracture, I would make sure you do not have a REASON for capsular contracture (such as ongoing or recurrent infections which may seed the implants) and once that its ruled out consider having the last procedure.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Alternatives to surgery for capsular contracture

+1

In addition to scar massage and implant displacement exercises (see video below) Many medications have been prescribed inluding high dose vitamin E, accolate, singulair, steroids, etc. Minimally inivasive techniques such as external ultrasound, closed capsulotomy, or peri-prosthetic infusion of steroids or hyaluronidase or antibiotics have also been attempted with mixed success and not without complications. Treatment typically consists of open capsulotomy or capsulectomy with/without implant replacement and consideration of a textured surfaced implant.

Alternative to capsulectomy

+1

Some surgeons prescribe the medication that you mentioned, however the studies are not definitive on the subject, the best solution is usually surgery.

Breast hardness after augmentation

+1

This can be a problem.I assume you are massaging and you don't have any underlying mastitis.After trying all the prescriptions and massage then open capsulectomy may be a real choice.I would probably massage,lay on your stomach and try to work it out since you are only a few months postop.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Endermology for eary breast capsule contracture

+1

You could try endermologie to break up the capsule. There is no guarantee it would work and if it does it may only be temporary but it is worth trying to prevent revision surgery this early after the previous surgery. It certainly is more likely to work months after surgey than years after surgery.

Aaron Stone, MD