Capsular Formation?

I had breast augment. 41 days ago (300cc, silicone round, dual plane). My right breast looks like it has obtained correct position and feels soft. My left breast feels harder, still sits higher than right breast, the fold has 1.5-2cm difference in position compared to right breast fold. When I squeeze my breast at the bottom, right implant moves upwards freely yet left implant feels like something is obstracting the movement. Could this be capsule formation so soon after surgery? Will it lower?

Breast augmentation

+2

Every breast implant has a capsule that forms around it. One side may have a slightly thicker capsule than the other which gives it the different feel and mobility. It's still early so would give it time and follow your surgeons directions and hopefully the left breast will loosen up with time.

Can I have an early capsular contracture?

+2

It is possible to develope a contracture this early.  However, it is also very possible that the implants are just not jet fixed in their final position.  At this stage, the firmness may still be inflammation.  I would recommend downward massage, no bra and another month before considering any intervention on a capsule.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+2

It is possible to have some asymmetry in the position of the implants after breast augmentation, especially after subpectoral placement of breast implants, and often this resolves over time. You should consult with your plastic surgeon for examination to determine if there is early development of capsular contracture and if any intervention is indicated.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Capsular Contracture?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Although it is possible to develop encapsulation of the breast implants very early after surgery some degree of breast asymmetry (by palpation and/or implant position)   is to be expected at this stage your recovery.

Encapsulation refers to  abnormal thickening  of the breast implant capsule (also  referred to as capsular  contraction)  that can cause hardening of the breasts, displacement of the breast implants, and significant discomfort/pain.

It would behoove you to be examined in person by your surgeon for accurate diagnosis  and advice.