I noticed 2 days ago that my left breast feels harder and tighter that the right. Capsular contracture? (photo)

I Had BA Surgery 3 weeks and 4 day ago. My doctor used Mentor saline implants 350cc filled with 375cc (L) and 375 cc Filled with 390cc (R). I noticed 2 days ago that my left breast feels harder and tighter that the right, and my right breast looks slightly lower than the left one. I'm I having capsular contracture? or this is normal during the implants settling? and also I feel like my breast look really small. Are they getting smaller than this?

Your breasts are still settling

+1
Capsular contracture involves scarring and tightening around the implant, causing the breast to feel firm and sometimes look abnormally round or elevated. This can sometimes be treated without surgery, but if the problem persists, may require another operation. You are still early on in your recovery and it appears that you breasts are still settling, which can take about three to four months generally. 

However, for a better assessment of your concern, please see your plastic surgeon for a physical examination. 

Capsular contracture?

+1

+1  
I am sorry to hear about the concerns you have. Unfortunately, online consultants will not give much specific help to you given that it is very difficult to diagnose encapsulation without physical examination.  In other words, a board certified plastic surgeon can easily detect and determine if you have capsular contracture after physical examination. Encapsulation can vary depending on the severity and complexity of the case. If you experience some discomfort and feel abnormal firmness, it may indicate that you have excessive scar tissue around the implants.  if this is the case, removal of the breast implants, conversion to a sub muscular (dual plane position), and possibly use of acellular dermal matrix may be indicated. You may find the attached link, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery, helpful to  you. Best wishes.

BBA

+1
It would be highly unlikely to have a contracture so early.  See your PS as you need them to ensure that you don't have a collection.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Do I have a capsular contracture?

+1
Based on the photos you posted, it doesn't appear that you have a capsular contracture.  At 3 weeks, it's really too soon to worry.  Your implants look like they need to drop so try to give it some time about 3-6 months before you worry about shape.  If you are very concerned, go see your surgeon for a follow up appt so your mind can be put at ease.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

CONTRACTURE??

+1

I DO  NOT  think  this   is  a  case  of  contracture    ,    it  is   still  very  soon     but     you  have  to  do  things     now    is   this  early  stage   to  prevent  any deformtaion  talk  with    your  PS   an  sak   him  is    you   do    need  to  wear  an elastic  band     wich  is  indispensable   for    best   resultws    in this type   of  breast    for    the first   3   weeks   24 if  hours  a  day .IT  Looks    you  had   some   type  of  tubular   bresast    and   if     those   implants  werte  located  behind  ,muscle   this is just    a must !

if   implants  are not  located  behind  muscle  then    while   the  mastoplasty    was  performed    you  need  to have  radiation  of   the  breast  tissue and    to  increase   the   inferior    fold  to allow the implant   in the   new   fold 

Cynthia Disla, MD

Capsular Contracture

+1

I would advise you contact the surgeon who performed your breast augmentation in order to determine if you do have capsular contracture or not. With out proper examination or pictures it will be difficult for any one to diagnose this problem on you.

Jaime Perez MD

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Capsular Contracture can only be definitively diagnosed on examination

+1

Hi there-

Please don't spend time and energy worrying and asking about this concern online- without examining you none of us will be able to answer your question with any confidence, and our answers will only cause you unnecessary distress (if we say it looks like you have a problem) or give you a false sense of security (if we reassure you and this reassurance delays your communication with your surgeon). I promise your surgeon would be sad to know that you expressed your concerns to other surgeons online before calling them, and would hate to think that their relationship with you may have been weakened by this.

The very best advice I could give you is that you should share all concerns and questions with the surgeon you chose to do your procedure as early as possible. They are in the best position to say (based on what they know about the details of your operation, the examination they can perform on you, and their knowledge of the postoperative course most common in their patients) what exactly is going on and what, if anything should be done about it.

Please contact your surgeon asap.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture?

+1

At 3-4 weeks post-op, this cannot be a capsular contracture. Submuscular implants can feel hard on certain days because the pec muscle is tight around them. It is doubtful that you have a hematoma or seroma because the look symmetric, but only a good physical exam by your PS can determine if this is true. As they drop over the next 2-3 months, the will project more and look more natural. Be sure to discuss your concerns with your PS.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augment

+1

A number of things are going on. First both sides always act differently which is totally normal. It takes about 3 months for things to settle and usually become symmetric. Its very rare to have a capsule early, much more common for fluid or blood to accumulate and I like to aggresively drain this. See your PS

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC