Capsular Contracture 9 Months Post Op on Left Breast?

I developed cc after 9 months on my left breast. Doc advised me to do a capsulectomy on my left with implant exchange and leave the right breast alone since there's nothing wrong with it. Will I be at a higher risk of developing cc on my right breast if I leave it alone since it's been almost a year and it's fine, or if I exchange the implants on both breasts (I wanted to go bigger)? I want to avoid any kind of complications such as cc as much as I can.

Capsulectomy

+1

If you have any ASPEN providers in your community that are willing to warranty their work, consider seeing them for non-invasive management of your capsule.  Otherwise you other options are reasonable but opening the right side does reintroduce all of the risks of surgery.  Are you wiling to accept that or just focus on your left side?

+1

There is a small risk to developing capsular contracture in the opposite breast if the implant is exchanged.  However, I think either alternative is reasonable, particularly if you have a strong desire to get larger implants.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast augmentation revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

CC and reoperation

+1

There are 2 ways to look at this. The rate of CC is higher with reoperative surgery but it is still far more likely that you will not develop CC.  If you really do want to be a bit larger this is a chance to do so with moderate additional cost, no additional recovery and minimal additional anesthesia. On the other hand, if you are  happy with your size, there is no reason after only 9 months to be thinking about changing out the right side. Changing it will not decrease your long term risk of CC on the right. If anything it will slightly increase it based on published statistics. I'd advise you to consider right side surgery only if you really want to be larger and accept the same reasonable risks as those for your original breast implant surgery 9 months ago. Best of luck!

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

+1

Unless you are convinced that you would like a larger re augmentation, I would suggest that you “leave the right side alone”.  You will not necessarily be at a higher risk for developing encapsulation on the right side.

On the other hand, every time you expose the breast implant pocket to the environment, you do expose yourself to risk of capsular contraction. Again, if at all possible, limit the surgery to the encapsulated site only.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Capsular contracture

+1

Hi, I would tend to agree and leave the good side alone.  The cc side should be repaired and there are a few options on now to do that.    Good luck to you. 

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Alloderm can help prevent capsular contracture after breast implants.

+1

Hi

1)  We recommend inserting a sheet of Alloderm (collagen mesh) when correcting capsular contracture.  It's been shown to decrease recurrence.

2)  If you want to go bigger, this is the time to do it.  Otherwise, i agree that right breast should be left alone.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Treatment of capsular contractures after breast augmentation

+1

Capsular contracture is an unfortunate but possible complication of breast augmentation. The best treatment for contracture is prevention. Meticulous attention the sterile technique and proper use of antibiotic solution at the time of surgery has been shown to be helpful in decreasing the rate of capsular contracture. But despite a surgeon's best efforts and even if everything is done exactly the right way, capsules do occur and are a possibility with any breast augmentation surgery. And once capsular contractures occur they often need to be treated. Often the problematic capsular tissue will need to be removed. New implants should be placed if possible, in a new, fresh tissue plane. This means if the previous implants were on top of the muscle, the new implants should be placed under the muscle. Implant position under the muscle is associated with a lower risk of capsular contracture. In addition sometimes a textured shell can be used in order to help minimize the risk of repeat capsular contracture. There is no way to determine when a problematic capsular contracture will occur. For that reason, if one breast is unaffected it may be best just to leave that one alone. I hope this helps and good luck.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Managing capsule contracture 9 months post-op

+1

It is very unfortunate that you developed capsule contracture, and while it is more unusual to see it this far out from surgery, it certainly happens.  Typically if it involves only one side, then that is all it will involve, however, that doesn't mean that the other side couldn't develop it too at some point.  I don't think that the right side is necessarily at increased risk to do this, however, just because the left side has it.  We still don't fully understand why this happens, but if you subscribe to the prevailing theories, it has more to do with some bacterial contamination of the implant.  Removal of the capsule on the affected side is standard treatment, especially when medical treatment with drugs like Singulair (montelukast) have been tried and failed.  Replacement of the implant on the involved side is not always necessary, but it's not unreasonable either.  The implant companies don't reimburse for this, however.  As far as the other side goes, the only reason that I would contemplate doing anything on that side is if you did in fact want to increase the size of your implants.  In that case, as long as that capsule is soft, all you would have to do is replace the implant in the same capsule as long as you are using an implant that is not substantially (over 100 cc larger usually) than the current one.  If you are going substantially larger, you may need to have the capsule released internally too in order to accommodate the larger size, but this is not a very complicated thing.  In any event, you don't have to have anything done to the right side; it would be only if you wanted to make a change there.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Capsule contracture

+1

If you are pleased with the right breast, I would suggest leaving it alone. With any surgery to the breast, there is an increased risk of capsule formation. If you are considering exchanging the implants for a larger size, and there is enough movement or room on the right breast, the risk of capsule formation is low. However, a capsule may form at any time when you have implants. To lower the risk of capsule formation in the future, I would suggest taking antibiotics for a short time prior to dental work, or for an infection.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

The likelihood of developing delayed capsular contracture on contralateral side is unknown.

+1

Your situation is interesting. The fact that you have contracture on one side is evidence to the mystery that surrounds this phenomenon. I don't think you're increased risk for capsular contracture on the opposite side going forward. If you're pleased with the size I would suggest you leave it alone.