Replacement Due to Capsular Contracture in 2007, 6 Years Later I Feel a Tightness in My Chest Again?

I had my first silicone implants in 1999, in February 2007 I had one replaced due to CC then just 6 months later the other one had to be done. Now 6 years later I can feel a tightness in my right breast, again I presume it is CC. Is this normal and does that mean that in 6 months my other one is going to go the same way? Am I not a good candidate for implants?

Capsular contracture?

+1

An exam in person would be essential to determine if you have a capsular contracture. Replacing the implant and a pocket exchange as well as capsule removal may be necessary. Sometimes strattice is placed which may help reduce the risk of a recurrence.

Strattice matrix best for capsular contracture

+1

For recurrent capsular contracture, Strattice (an acellular dermal matrix) is my go-to answer to deal with the problem definitively. Other options such as asthma medications have been reported to have some success, but have not been helpful in the majority of patients on whom I have tried them. Ultrasound treatment (ASPEN) has not been reported in the peer-reviewed medical literature so that remains unproven at the present time.

Richard Baxter, MD

Recurring capsular contractures

+1

You should see your surgeon or another local surgeon for an evaluation and consideration of ASPEN ultrasound technology or off label use of some asthma medications that could help with contractures should contractures be confirmed.  Before spending money on ASPEN, I would suggest knowing what their revision policy is if it doesn't do anything for you.  This could range from a partial refund, additional courtesy treatments or discounted fees for more treatments.  If your contractures occur rapidly after having everything done to prevent them, on you can decide if its worth the expense and time to keep re-doing your breasts.  I personally do not encourage that, unless you are fine with 'rocks' up there.

Curtis Wong, MD