5 months post BA revision, replacing 800cc implants with 510cc. Now one is sore, tight, and high. Is this capsular contracture?

I have had a second Breast augmentation about 5 months ago, this time going smaller. One of my last implants ( 800cc) ruptured and had been for a long time when i went in for my second operation for my smaller (510cc) implants to be placed. Ever since the surgery, that one breast has been sore and tight and it feels like a grapefruit. It looks the same as the other breast, but when i lie on my back, my normal one hangs over the side a little whereas the "grapefruit" one sits high

Capsular Contracture?

+2

The diagnosis of capsular contraction will depend on your physical examination. Although your description is consistent with abnormal scar formation, the breast asymmetry you are experiencing may be related to differences in the breast implant pockets. I would suggest following up with your plastic surgeon for more precise diagnosis/advice.

Possible capsular contracture

+1

From your description it seems that you have a capsular contracture.  The reason for your rupture of the 800 cc implant could have been from a capsular contracture in the first place.  The capsule getting tighter could cause a ripple in the implant creating a pin hole leak.  

Capsular Contracture?

+1

If your breast felt tight immediately following the surgery, it is not likely to be capsular contracture but perhaps an under dissected pocket or a fluid collection around the implant.  Capsular contracture can certainly develop over time but would not be present immediately after the surgery.  Your surgeon should be able to make a diagnosis by examining you.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

+1

It is very possible that you have a capsular contracture, but you would need an exam to determine that.  Good luck.

Capsular contracture after breast augmentation

+1

Pictures would be very helpful as would a physical exam.

but from your description of pain and immobility of the implant on one side compared to the other it is very likely you may have developed a capsular contracture on that side.

See your surgeon.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon