How Would I Know If Pain And Hardness After Surgery Is Capsular Contracture?

I had my ba surgery 6 weeks ago. Since the day 5 I had significantly more pain in my right breast than in the left one. It feels much firmer than the left. It is getting softer but it is not dropping that fast. It is much higher than the left one. Is this the beginning of capsular contracture?

Hardness and high Implant 6 weeks after Breast Augmentation may be sign of Capsular Contraction

+2

Aubree,

Thank you for your question. Six weeks after a Breast Augmentation is the time frame when Capsular Contraction usually first becomes evident. I recommend that you see your surgeon right away as there are steps he/she can take to lessen the risk.

It is encouraging and hopeful that the  Right Breast Implant is softening rather than getting harder. Generally implants continue to soften and drop for about 3 months after surgery.

Be sure to discuss Breast Displacement Exercises with your doctor.

Probably just swelling and slower drop

+1
While it is possible that you have developed capsular contracture, the firmness can just be an indication of swelling, which is happening more in one breast than the other. This is very common. Just in case, I suggest you see your surgeon, but I don't think it's capsular contracture. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Capsular contracture six weeks after surgery?

+1
Implants usually take 3-6 weeks to "settle", but can take up to six months to fully drop as shown by Dr. Burkhardt years ago. Capsular contracture is unusual to develop at six weeks after surgery. Capsular contra cure can occur many years after surgery. Be patient for now. There are some conservative measures you can try to help the implant "settle" like wearing a bandeau strap or applying pressure to the superior pole of the implant to help stretch the inferior pole soft tissues. You can try this for 10-15 minutes at a time, 6-8 times per day for the next six weeks or so.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Capsule vs normal healing

+1

You are still in the early healing phase from your surgery.  It may take up to six months for things to soften after the initial surgery.  Only after you have given adequate healing time without change should you worry about a capsule.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Capsular contracture after augmentation

+1

When breasts suffer from capsular contracture, they can appear more high riding and gradually feel more firm.  I think it is unusually to see capsular contracture in the first days or initial weeks after breast augmentation and the more typical culprit is more swelling or bruising on one side.  Occasionally, especially if the implant looks more full, there can be a small hematoma (blood collection) sitting in the pocket.  If the hematoma is large enough, sometimes it needs to be surgically drained.  The best course of action is to see your plastic surgeon and undergo an examination to see if any of these situations fit.

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD