Capsular Contracture Vs Doctor's Error? (photo)

I'm 5 mths PO. Full mastopexy w/Mentor smooth Rd HP Saline 630. R side filled 660. L side filled 650. My R side looks high/smaller. They were same size& positioned the same during mth 3. The implant isn't getting hard, which might indicate cap contr. What should I ask the PS & what can do to help it drop/even out? FYI-I had bruising on my rt side PO. When I flex pectorals, my R breast raises up but L side moves outward. Could the PS have installed the implant wrong so it wouldn't drop properly?

Capsular Contracture Vs Doctor's Error?

+1

If these looked even at 3 months it would be difficult for me to assign blame to the physician. On the photos this does look like a capsular contracture, but if the implants are soft, that would not be an explanation. Alternatively, the left implant may not have settled as much as the right. At five month it is possible but not too likely that this can improve with massage and pectoral strap. 

The pectoral muscles are not symmetric.If you are right handed, that muscle is usually considerably larger than the left, and it is not uncommon to see different amounts of "animation" with flexion. 

Discuss options with your surgeon. All the best. 

Capsular contracture?

+1

If the left implant is feeling much harder or firmer than the right, you probably do not have capsular contracture.  Of the implants were symmetric at three months, you may just be seeing the right implant has settled or dropped faster  than the left.  If the implants haven't settled and evened out by six months, chances are they won't.  You would possibly need surgery to move the left implant down.  You should discuss your concerns and options with your surgeon and/or get a second opinion from an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon of you feel you should.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Tough to say

+1

Single stage augmentation/mastopexy is a challenging operation. Without pre-operative photos, it's impossible to ascertain whether your results are a result of pre-existing asymmetry, technical error or contracture. If they looked the same at 3 months then pre-existing asymmetry and technical error would seem less likely so early contracture would be at the top of my concern list. I would encourage you to follow up with your surgeon and if you're my patient would suggest aggressive implant massage and could consider an off label use of the allergy medication Singular.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon