Possible Capsular Contracture/Scar Tissue, Do I Need to Change the Implants?

I had silicone implants put in 3 years ago. Approximately for the last 2.5 years, I have had discomfort and various degrees of pain. I have followed up with my physician on several occasions on this matter. Finally, yesterday he suggested that although I do not have any hardening of my breast, that it is most likely Capsular Contracture. He suggests going back to the operating room to remove the capsules/scar tissues, but did not mention that I should (or may) need to change the implants.

Capsular contracture

+1

In my opinion, if you are treating capsular contracture the best procedure should be performed in an effort to reduce the risk of recurrence as much as possible.  Unfortunately there is no way to reduce the risk of recurrence to zero.

I typically do the most complete operation I can by removing all of the capsule and changing the implant.  This essentially removes all of the abnormal scar tissue and changes the implant surface.  One the prevalent theories on capsular contracture is a bacterial film on the surface of the implant which would not be treated if the implant was not changed.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture?

+1

If you have a capsular contracture, you should probably have the implants exchanged based upon the theory that a biofilm may be the cause.

Remove Breast Implants during Surgery for “Capsular Contracture"?

+1

Ultimately, it will be a judgment call whether the breast implant should be exchanged during the time of your surgery. If, for example, there is no encapsulation present and your breast implants are in good shape ( and serve to produce the results you're looking for),  there may be no indication to remove or replace them.