Capsular Contracture Insurance?

Is capsular contracture insurance necessary? Right now i feel like its just an additional expense. What are the chances of CC?

Not a mainstream insurance policy

+1

Capsular contraction - a condition of excessive tissue formation around implants - can happen to even the best of surgeons and patients.  Studies vary in reported frequency, but it's safe to say it happens from 3% to 20% of cases depending on a number of variables.  The insurance may be offered by your surgeon, and if that's the case, I'd ask him or her about the frequency and what actually constitutes a contracture - as they can be very mild or quite severe.  I have never heard of a policy like this being offered by a major carrier or something like Cosmetassure.  I'd also be very curious what exactly is covered.... surgery center, new implant, surgoen's fee, etc.

Treatment for encapsulation generally requires removal of all of the scar tissue and replacement with a new implant, and it can be expense.  Do you homework and follow your instincts.  If you happen to learn more about this "insurance"  it, I'd love to hear more.

Good luck with your procedure!  Dr. Kaufman

Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture Insurance

+1

I have never heard of capsular contracture insurance. It sounds like a losing deal for the insurance companies unless the time frame is very short.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture insurance?

+1

I have never heard of capsular contracture insurance. I have heard of insurance for emergencies related to cosmetic surgery.

CAPSULAR CONTRACTURE

+1

Hi Jolie,

I would advise against purchasing insurance for a complication following cosmetic surgery.  The risk of capsular contracture is fairly low.  With the newer implants and by placing them under the muscle this risk is much lower than in the past. Good luck.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture Insurance?

+1

This is a new one for me, and you will have to explain.

The incidence of CC varies according to how it is defined, but the need for surgery to correct CC is about 5% or less. Techniques to minimize the chances of CC include placement of implants behind the muscle, and soaking the implants in a triple antibiotic solution. 

I am not aware of any commercially available product to cover contractures. Perhaps this is an office based agreement. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.